Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: My E string is now gone!!!
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:36 am 

Hmmm... Now I'm wondering if I should have the long awaited truss rod adjustment done. I haven't done anything to my '82 4001S since I've had it. The action is up a bit, but still not too bad.

I've been very happy with the D'Addario strings (flat chromes) recommended by johnallg. They seem to be a cross between flats and rounds.
They are on my other two basses as well, which includes an old 60's Hagstrom 4 string model.

I have had a bad E string sound (very dead), but I think that was more to the Fender standard flatwounds I was using some time ago. I think I put them on when the original Rickenbacker strings wore out.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:20 am 

A quick and dirty solution may be to use an E string from another set...ie, different brand, different material for example..that will balance out with the other 3 strings... That will be a a matter of experimentation or just a lot of monkeying to see if that fixes the problem..

beenie... for now I suggest working your compression and EQ to get through this until a viable solution is in place...

Chris

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:02 am 

compression?? EQ? u hoh .. I just turn the amp on eleven and that's it ... :) *LMAO*

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:14 am 

Quote:
compression?? EQ? u hoh .. I just turn the amp on eleven and that's it ... :) *LMAO*

OK..Miss beenie... I understand...
I also don't use any compression or EQ...
I use the old early 70's SVT heads.. with old SVT 8x10" cabs as well as old 2x15" V4B reflex cabs...
I like my low frequencies....One time I set off 3 car alarms in the parking lot outside my building and one car out on the street!!!! :)
Not to fret,(no pun).. I will figure a solution to this "E string-theory"
An alternative may be to just try out the bass your going to buy to make sure it sounds the way you want...So if it's brand new, then the E problem is unacceptable for a professional instrument, I would expect this from a Silvertone... then return it...then find another one..

Chris

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:57 am 

Try putting the rotos back on it to see if it sounds as it did. A cheapo trick from the past was to boil used strings to boil the sweat out of them. I used to do it all the time. It's not as good as new strings, but it works for about 2 gigs. It must be done in mom's kitchen as the red comes off the strings. My neck still hurts from doing this in my wife's kitchen.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:09 pm 

Quote:
Try putting the rotos back on it to see if it sounds as it did. A cheapo trick from the past was to boil used strings to boil the sweat out of them. I used to do it all the time. It's not as good as new strings, but it works for about 2 gigs. It must be done in mom's kitchen as the red comes off the strings. My neck still hurts from doing this in my wife's kitchen.

Red? My strings don't seem to have any red. You mean that ribbon stuff that some bass strings have?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:58 pm 

That's right. Rotosound uses red thread on the ends. But if you play out all the time you should put new strings on all the time. Most people can't tell whether the bass player was playing a rick or a dan armstrong (the worst sounding bass ever)but if you are adjusting the neck and pickups every week, there is a much better reward from new strings.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:39 pm 

Quote:
Well....Heres the deal... Before I had the bass worked on, it was F###-ing pefect !!! All strings had great balance and the tone was very "woody" with a nice growl..I was the happiest person on the planet..I could not put this bass down... Well, what was done was the repair guy said the board was lifting slightly near the 1st fret on the G string side...well when I get it back he lifted up both sides of the board to clean up the old glue and re-glue and clamp it...Well it looks sloppy since I can see a tiny gap...Also the area under the truss rod nuts now looks hogged out a bit so a larger adjusting tool could fit with no problem now...
At this point the bass went from great to just about useless to me... I can't play it with out getting pissed off!!! Everytime I play any note on the E string it is like totally vanished...not only is the E string much lower in volume, which I could barely deal with, it has no sustain..so the note is weak and just dies with absolutely no resonance...

This sounds to me like the neck's the problem now. A good clue is the sloppy glue job. If the fretboard was lifting up, then part of that process was the age and condition of the glue, and with glue, it's either all good or all bad. But from the sound of this, he only glued a portion of the board which means that the two different glues of two different ages are fighting each other. This, combined with a neck adjustment performed to compensate for the resulting uneven neck tension may be throwing off the E side of the bass. And if there's uneven neck tension, I would think that putting on different strings with different tensions could possibly worsen the problem in the long run. I'd focus on the neck issue to save yourself some trouble down the road.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:29 am 

gray, I am in total agreement with you...
The problem is that this may now be "permanent" ....
How can this be remedied???

Chris

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:18 pm 

Well, let me first say that I am in no way an experienced luthier but in my experiences I've noticed that some types of repairs, no matter what type of object or device they're performed upon, can cause more harm than good in the long run.
I would guess that the fretboard may need to come off and be reglued. That would suck for sure, but at least you might be able to refret it before the binding goes back on, and on the bright side you'd have nothing left to worry about.
Now, hopefully for the sakes of you and your bass, I'm totally wrong and the problem is something else. Hopefully someone with more experience will have a different take on this. I just wouldn't do anything unnatural for the bass to compensate for the dead E until a luthier with plenty of experience with Ricks is able to make a professional diagnosis.
Hopefully it's really just a simple fix and the worst that will happen will be that I'll just look like an idiot, and I can live with that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Just Basses