Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: My E string is now gone!!!
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:43 pm 

Just for the record... I think that the Ric strings I put on my bass are really good sounding...very well balanced, I really like the way they sound on my 4001...Unfortunately I can't make out my E string but thats another issue...
The scary thing is that the luthier who worked on my 4001 was highly recomended, especially for Rics..
Chris

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:48 am 

Quote:
... johnallg...what strings and gauge do you use???

Chris

Chris - I use D'Addario Chromes (flats with some round sound growl) in 45-100. But it was so with Roto rounds and the RIC strings also. It is somewhat of a curse as it can really make you jump when cranked up!

Here's a question - is the E string really tight in the nut? Beenie reported that on her new 4003 with low E output.

Also is the truss nut on the low string side as tight as the one on the high side?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:52 am 

Quote:
I have had a bad E string sound (very dead), but I think that was more to the Fender standard flatwounds I was using some time ago. I think I put them on when the original Rickenbacker strings wore out.

My experience with Fender flats was similiar on two basses - the E has lower output and had a warble effect to them. I wanted to try flats and they were on sale for $13 so I bought them.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:32 pm 

johnallg, I found some warbling when setting up mt 4001cs and found that if I lowered the neck pickup just a tiny bit, the warble went away. You may want to check the distance from pup to string. If it's too close, that could be the problem...... or not... good luck, Todd

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:58 am 

Quote:
johnallg, I found some warbling when setting up mt 4001cs and found that if I lowered the neck pickup just a tiny bit, the warble went away. You may want to check the distance from pup to string. If it's too close, that could be the problem...... or not... good luck, Todd

I only had that problem on the two cheap sets of Fender strings I bought - one set on the 4003 and one set on a cheapie Austin P-Bass Deluxe. Both E strings acted the same on both basses. No problem like that with the Chromes or Rotos or Dean Markleys or RICs or even $8 Musician Friends rounds I tried. Before I get cruicified for the MF cheapies, I got them to take me over the free shipping threshold. I'd rather get something for the money other that S & H!! Besides, they sounded decent but really varied diameter down the length of the string - very inconsistient winding tension. Suprising they sounded decent.

Board index » Just Basses