Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Rick' string Q's a'plenty: Guages+ an odd one?
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:56 am 

OK, I'll get the odd one out of the way first.

I Just bought a brand new 4003MG from the House of Guitars in Rochester NY. The bass actually arrived there via UPS while I was in the store, so it was fresh out of the box,a dn I was the first and only one to paly it. I got it home and started fooling with it getting it ready for a set up and looking at what I could do/modify on the thing (hehe!). When I took off the strings to have a look at the bridge pickup asembly I noticed my E-string was very tight in the nut, I had to pull it out. I decided to measure the string and my calipers said it was a .110 rather than a .105. I checked several times to make sure. I just checked the "Boutique" and it doesn't apear Rickenbacker makes a .110 string. Is my string an oddity, ie a result of manufacturing tollerances, or is it a .115 that's been narrowed by normal string stretching? It does feel big compared to the other strings. and it seems to be impeading my ability to get both sides of the neck totlay straight (though I have 'em very close).

That brings me to my next question: Rickenbacker's string guages, why are stepped the way they are? Most companies seem to step up in inrements of .020; for instance, a standard set will usually go .045, .065, ,085 (or some times .080) and .105. The rIck set however go in incriments of .010 between the G and D, .020 between the D and the A and .030 between the A and the E making a .045, .055, .075, .105. Is there reason for this? I'm mostly just curious.

Thanks in advance!

~Paul :-)

Post subject: Re: Rick' string Q's a'plenty: Guages+ an odd one?
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:31 am 

I think it might be that the strings gauged .045, .055, .075, .105 are closer in tension for each string, than most other sets of strings.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:36 am 

a 4003 can take any strings that are on the market ... flats, round wounds, high tension, low tension, fat gauge, skinny guage ... use the strings that you like best ... the 4003 will do fine ...

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:17 am 

Thanks for the replies. I'm not worried about the string tension, I'm just curious as why Rick strings are guaged the way they are, that's all.

I don't know about the tension thing, I was under the in presion the A was usualy the lowest tension in most sets (but then why do so many sets use a lighter A?). Who knows? Again I was just curious.

Now if I could jsut figure out the big E string thing on my bass.

~Paul :-)

Board index » Just Basses