Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: mesa boogie 400
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:06 pm 

Hey everyone, me again, im still looking around for a nice/loud/distortable/punk/tube amp that complaments a rickenbacker well... i was origionally looking at a fender bassman 300 but a friend of mine recently recomended i check out the mesa boogie 400 and i think its become my first choice, but as always, before i make any purchess i come to this forum and ask you all what you think, so any comments/suggestions/recomendations?

Post subject: Re: mesa boogie 400
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:24 am 

I've been playing mesa stuff for years, currently use a mesa m/Pulse 600 and the mesa powerhouse 1000 cab.

I've played punk and metal and all sorts of things on it with my Ricks and the sound is unbelievable. The full range of the Rickenbackers really come through, and I havenever had a problem being heard through drums and stacks of loud guitar amps.

These amps have tons big low end, lots of 'growl,' and distorted or overdriven bass sounds HUGE through any mesa gear I've used. The quality of their gear is top notch. Mesa builds their equipment like little tanks and the reliablility of their equipment is really top notch.

Seriously, the first time I heard my Rick through a mesa, I couldn't believe how good it sounded. You will not be dissapointed.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:03 am 

I love my Marshall VBA 400 for my RIC. Lots of growl if I want or Smooth as Glass with a little EQ adjustment. Tons of power to spare too.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:03 am 

OwdKasD, I'm quite interested in the Marshall VBA 400, I've been looking at a few different all valve amps, and I know that the Marshall would sound great with my 4003FL.

I'm really wondering how the VBA 400 would sound with my Warwick five stringer considering I use that as well, when I'm not playing my RIC (which isn't too often but still). Also, how is it for transporting around with gigging and what not?

Peaceeeeeeeee

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:01 pm 

Well, I am an Ampeg fan. It's the original and still, (IMO) the best. Ever wonder why mesa, fender and others copy Ampeg? Mesa's have always sounded "woody" to me. A hollowness that was not flatering to my RIC. However, I have not played a mesa in quite some time, so I don't know what the newer ones sound like.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:02 am 

Quote:
Ever wonder why mesa, fender and others copy Ampeg?

You should really try the new Mesa stuff. As far as copying ampeg, Mesa amps dn't really work the same way at all. For example I've never seen an ampeg that comes with a 4 button footswitch.

Comparing the Mesa and the Ampeg is just like comparing the Mesa guitar amps to Marshall amps. They have a totally different sound.

With the Rick, the mesa sound is truly thunderous. I've never heard a bass rig with a meatier low-end. Don't get me wrong, Ampegs are great amps (I love my b-100r combo with my 4005), but the Mesa is definately a more modern sound.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:59 am 

The Ampeg tube head sounds awesome and seems to be as loud as needed for most if not all gigs. I just dig the Marshall "Mojo". Also, The British power Valves used in a Marshall are actually the same as USA tubes just a different name. They are basically 50 watts each so The Marshall has 8 & I believe the Ampeg has 6.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:01 am 

Quote:
OwdKasD, I'm quite interested in the Marshall VBA 400, I've been looking at a few different all valve amps, and I know that the Marshall would sound great with my 4003FL.

I'm really wondering how the VBA 400 would sound with my Warwick five stringer considering I use that as well, when I'm not playing my RIC (which isn't too often but still). Also, how is it for transporting around with gigging and what not?

Peaceeeeeeeee

The Marshall sounded incredible with My Sadowsky 5 string Jazz bass. So I bet it'll sound hot with the Warwick. The VBA-400 is a tad on the heavy side but I can carry it with one hand while I carry my 210 in the other. I Love this head and it was the best value at 400 watts compared to 300 watt Ampegs yet lower in price. Orange makes a tube head that is supposed to be the best tube head on the planet. I have not heard one yet. The problem with the Marshall is that they are hard to find, very hard to find.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:23 am 

I like old Sunns, but the simple fact that they're not around anymore can be a big deterrent for a lot of people. Ampegs are great, too, though, and I know a lot of people who like the (new) SVT Classics. Ampegs can be pretty expensive themselves, but they're made in the U.S. and they do compliment Ricks quite well.
There are more affordable tube amps, too, but you do get what you pay for. I wouldn't put out looking into Ampegs. They're pretty well associated with Ricks.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:42 am 

The Marshall sounded incredible with My Sadowsky 5 string Jazz bass. So I bet it'll sound hot with the Warwick. The VBA-400 is a tad on the heavy side but I can carry it with one hand while I carry my 210 in the other. I Love this head and it was the best value at 400 watts compared to 300 watt Ampegs yet lower in price. Orange makes a tube head that is supposed to be the best tube head on the planet. I have not heard one yet. The problem with the Marshall is that they are hard to find, very hard to find.

I have heard that the Orange, which has to be the AD200B, is awesome as well, but haven't heard one either. It definitely seems like the VBA 400 is hard to find, however, searching online I found some for sale overseas, mostly in the UK, that would ship to the US, and it didn't seem like it would cost too much, maybe just an arm instead of an arm and a leg. The one other thing that I am wondering is how long the tubes last, and how much it will cost to replace them when necessary, I'm not sure if this differs between different companies.

Peace.

Board index » Just Basses