Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: mesa boogie 400
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:46 am 

Quote:
That Marshall head can be found at instrumentpro. I own the Traynor YBA-200 right now, but the thought of 400 tube watts with my 4003 is becoming irresistable to me. I played the Traynor with an Ampeg 8x10 last saturday at an outdoor wedding reception and it sounded great, though. I dont need 400 watts, but....
I would buy the Head at a local shoppe with a reasonable unconditional return policy. Then you can try it out in the real world. I love my Marshall but who knows, Maybe the Mesa would sound better to you or the Orange or even the Ampeg. I think any decent amp can sound great with proper EQ and a competent player. I just love standing in front of my Marshall and hearing the growl but you may want more of an old Sunn/folded horn sound. That sound is amazing. The other bass player in My High school played a Ric thru a Sunn Rig back in the 80's and it was quite thunderous. Certain amps do certain things better but the cab & bass has alot to do with it also. I'm in my Growl phase right now but who knows what the future will bring.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:09 am 

I've been doing just fine with a Traynor YBA200 and either of my Carvin cabs (2X12 or 4X10.) Honestly, it's one of three amps I own and it's my favorite. (I've got a Carvin B1500 that is way too loud for most practical applications and a Gallien Krueger 400RB which is very clean and detailed, but not quite loud enough.) Most of the time, 200 all-tube watts is enough for me, and the Ampegs I've tried (the newer ones) have all sounded like ass...

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:39 pm 

The traynor YBA is enough for me as well. Anything more would be overkill for my situation. All I'm competing with in my band is a telecaster and a 35watt Vibrolux combo! In fact, I've never cranked it past 9oclock. That being said, I do dream of old SVT's and 2 8x10 cabs (through my Ric) on occasions!

Board index » Just Basses