Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: mesa boogie 400
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:01 am 

Tube life depends on a number of things, but primarily it depends on the manufacturer and the way they're used. Unevenly matched ohm ratings between amp and cab can shorten tube life considerably, heat versus cold, not letting the tubes warm up long enough, as well as moving the amp around a lot. It also depends on how well-built the amp is, how it absorbs shock. Old GE and Sylvania tubes are great, but there are a lot of new ones that are still very good. The Russian tubes are pretty much at the bottom as far as tone and life span go, unless you just like the sound, and some people do.
Most newly manufacture tubes, if taken proper care of, can last many years. However, vintage tubes, if they're like new, can last decades. My Sunn Model T has old GE tubes, and my old Wurlitzer 140B electric piano has tubes in it that are probably about forty-five years old, they all work great, and that thing's been all over the place. But like I said, a well-built chassis makes a big difference, and the old Wurlies were built like tanks. It's important, of course, because a good 215 cabinet can bounce an amp clean off it. Imagine what that vibration does to the tubes you may have just spent a hundred dollars on. I believe that Orange amps are built pretty heavily, although I don't have a great deal of experience with that particular company. I think Mitch Mitchell used Orange amps for a number of years.
Hope that provides some insight, and I hope anybody will correct me wherever I'm wrong!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:28 pm 

I've been borrowing an Ampeg SVT 350 with my band and I really love the thing a lot. I have used a Mesa Boogie 400 once or twice as well, and if memory serves, I thought they sounded pretty much the same. I haven't used the either of them with a Ricky, though, but, they certainly sound great with both of my Hofners, though.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:48 pm 

Well....tube life....a "heated" topic. I have discussed this many times...heres my input. I own a SVT and the manual states to replace the power tubes when you hear a change in sound...this could be in 1 year or ten...DEPENDING on useage. From all the information from many different manufactures, if you play multipal times weekly, then 12-18 months is a good time to replace your power tubes. Power tubes lasting "Decades" may happen once in a while, but is NOT the rule. Tubes are mechanical devices. Every time they are turned on they wear a little. When they are driven hard, they wear. So, it all comes down to useage.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:15 am 

Those are good points. I would have to agree with you about retubing, too. To me, it's like the tires on a car. You get used to the old ones, and when you get new ones you remember what it's really supposed to be like.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:39 pm 

Quote:
To me, it's like the tires on a car. You get used to the old ones, and when you get new ones you remember what it's really supposed to be like.

Perfectly put. :)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:37 am 

I'll be retubing my Sunn Model T soon, and I can't wait to hear my Ricks through it when it's done!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:57 pm 

IAM ALSO CURIOUS ABOUT THE 400, have been hearing good things.
I AM CURRENTLY USING a 1973 Traynor monoblock head S.S., with a 1976 Ampeg V6B(2-15" cab)and recent purchase of an Ampeg 210HE classic series cab/horn with a Boss Me50B. Although I HAVE A 4001 ON ORDER I am plugged into a spector legend. I find I can get very close to that geddy sound with the ME50b,took some time to figure out but end result was crisp high's and good bottom end. I just came back after a twenty year nap though, and really have nothing much to compare my current setup with.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:20 pm 

Gray,

I thought Mitch Mitchell was a drummer. Do ya mean Noel Redding????

Anyway Ampeg, Marshall, Orange... All good valve (tube) amps. Tweaking the EQ needed sometimes but THAT sound with a Rick.
AWESOME!!!!!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:56 am 

Quote:
Gray,

I thought Mitch Mitchell was a drummer. Do ya mean Noel Redding????

Could be. I always get the two confused.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:23 am 

That Marshall head can be found at instrumentpro. I own the Traynor YBA-200 right now, but the thought of 400 tube watts with my 4003 is becoming irresistable to me. I played the Traynor with an Ampeg 8x10 last saturday at an outdoor wedding reception and it sounded great, though. I dont need 400 watts, but....

Board index » Just Basses