Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Best amp for Geddy Hemispheres sound?
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:02 am 

For the ones who aren't familiar with that Geddy sound. Hear the first 10 seconds of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YvxLx0RabE&search=rush

I currently have a Aguilar GS212 as a cab and a Peavey poweramp and Sansamp RBI pre-amp.

I will have a 4003 soon. I also ordered the Rick-o-sound box. Geddy has used that aswell on the Hemisphere and Farewell to Kings album.

So maybe it's wise to sell my Aguilar GS212 cab and buy two small cabs. One cab I can use with the RBI and maybe the other with some other pre-amp like the Demeter or something?

Or should I keep the GS212 and buy a full tube amp from Ampeg for example?

I sold my Rickenbacker 4001 a few weeks ago. It didn't gave me quiet the Hemispheres sound which I'm looking for. But that is because of the amp/cab.
I'm still waiting for my 4003 to be delivered.

So I think maybe a solution is to use the Ric-o-sound output, just like Geddy did. Does anyone else use the Ric-o-sound output? What is your setup? Does it sound much different than the normal mono output?
Any advice would be a big help!

(p.s I already use Rotosound stainless steel strings and I play already aggressive fingerstyle..)

Thanks in advance! :)

Post subject: Re: Best amp for Geddy Hemispheres sound?
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:50 am 

Why don't you wait and check out the sounds that you get with your 4003 with your current setup? The GS212 is a fine cab and the RBI should supply all the overdrive (amoung other setting) that you'll need. I just don't much much about your Peavey power amp.

You might want to turn the tweeter in the cabinet down or even completely off when you use distortion or overdrive. To my ears, those tweeters in bass cabs don't sound good with overdrive or distortion. Actually I think the tweeters in bass cabs only sound good if you are playing modern jazz.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:52 am 

Honestly....You should try for your own sound...
Selling a perfectly good 4001 Ric because it doesn't sound like Hemispheres????

One thing I can say...Don't be fooled by the sound on the recording..It is nothing like the sound Geddy had live..Live in those days he had old SVT tube head plugged into two V4B cabs plugged into the neck pick-up, thats 4x 15" speakers in reflex!!!!... Then a Sunn amp for the bridge pup...This live sound was amazing and very punchy and ground shaking with lots of tone and power...That kind of dynamic range you won't get on that recording on a typical home stereo...

Chris

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:59 am 

Yeah I've got some live Rush bootlegs from the Farewell to Kings/Hemispheres era and his sound is just AWESOME.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:26 am 

@RockNRollChemist: I have those bootlegs too. It's my favourite basstone ever.

@cerrem: I didn't sell my Ric because it didn't sound like Hemispheres. It was because it had much fretwear and I prefer a new Rickenbacker. Mine was from '77. I could sell it for 1500 dollar and buy a almost new one for 900 dollar. I play almost two hours a day, so I need a real player. (Sorry I should have pointed that out).
Thanks for the information about his live setup!

@Rickenbrother: I will wait and try my 4003 first. My Peavey Poweramp is actually just a Peavey T-Max. I just use it as poweramp and the RBI as pre-amp.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:03 am 

Sound is based upon so many variables, just amp, speakers, or instrument aren't enough. There's the room too. There's nothing like playing huge power amplifiers through multi speaker stacks in a large auditorium with a great audience. And be sure to understand that a bunch of the energy is the audience. Hmm.. I think I like rock-n-roll concerts... particularly if I'm on the stage playing.

Board index » Just Basses