Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Just how much bass can you handle?
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:32 pm 

I have only played my new 4003 at one band practice since I got it and have noticed something quite funny.

The Ric is the only bass I have ever played at volume that has been so bassy that my ear plugs wiggle themselfs free from my ears when i'm standing next to my amp. I've tried all the main brands, but none of them have ever done this, its great (for the record the Ibanez EDB500 comes second - but still no comparison). The Ric physically moves me and it sounds better than anything I have ever heard too.

Come on Fender, beat that.

Post subject: Re: Just how much bass can you handle?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:16 am 

Dude, I totally love my 4003 for that.

Ricks are so widely known for their clarity that I think most people see them as really trebly sounding basses, but a 4003 with hi-gains also has a huge amount of LOW end. I find it sits perfectly underneath the guitars and sounds tighter with the kick than anything else I've tried.

I had my main basss for 10 years (a 4003) stolen a month and a half ago and played some gigs with a friends USA Jazz bass. It's a good bass, but it really didn't have the same presence and bottom end that I was used to having. (plus it didn't look nearly as cool.)

I played the same gig last friday with my new Rick 4003 BBR and it was a nice remainder of how incredible these basses really are. Even after 10 years, feeling all that rumble come from my amp doesn't gets old.

Congrats on your new Rick!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:02 am 

That's funny, I just played my newly aquired 4001V63 at a rehearsal for the first time last night. LOTS of low end. I grabbed the volume knob on my amp immediately. Love those pickups.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:43 am 

Absolutely, all my RIC basses,(V63, 4003, C64) all have that tight nice bottom end with excellent clarity. There's no bass like them. Not to mention how cool they look on stage.

I had a guy come up to me after a show not long ago and ask me what basses I was playing. I told him they were Rickenbackers. He said that they were the best basses he had ever heard and that he could not get his bass even close to sounding as good like mine. Hard to believe he had never seen a RIC but I guess there's a few out there. Nice compliment though.

Board index » Just Basses