Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: mac's stripped 4001s
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:06 am 

I just saw a pic of sir Paul with his RIC bass in a new guitar mag. It was from many years ago. What I didn't get was.... The horns weren't sanded to death like they are now. It also had a chip out of the pickguard at the bottom. I've seen that chip before, many pics with that. But it looks like the that bass was freshly stripped of paint only without wood removed. Has anyone else seen this step in the evolution of Mac's bass or does anyone have any info regarding this subject?

Post subject: Re: mac's stripped 4001s
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:11 am 

i believe i read here not that long ago where mr hall said that McCartney's bass was sent to the Ric factory for some modifications, and that in fact that Ric now sells an exact duplicate of that bass with all it's modifications..........i thought i saw a pic of it with the body cut lower..........i wasn't impressed at all...........but i think that from what i read, McCartney requested those modifications.................

but hey,........he is sir paul, and it is his bass...........lol

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:29 am 

When was the magazine published?

I remeber some one mentioning that in the "Let It Be" movie you can see Paul's Rick in the background when they perform "Two of Us" and the bass was stripped but the horn still had the hook. So I'm guessing he sanded that down latter.

I've loved that bass. It's fun trying to figure out exactly when certain features changed on it. First the finnish got sanded down then the treble pickup got swapped (after the original died) along with the bridge and tailpeice. Then at some point the horns got sanded and a zero-fret got put on there. What a history! If any one else did all that to his bass the "dont' modify it!" Rick purists would have been screaming bloddy murder! :-D LOL!

~Paul :-)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:34 am 

Upon review, the mag is the current Bass Player mag. On page 68(I think) an article about George's "Something" and Paul's bass part.BLAH BLAH BLAH. I'm sure the zero fret was original, not added. Also, a new pickguard was installed sometime afer the photo in question was taken.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:54 pm 

No, the Zero fret wasn't original. If I remeberr correctly the 4001C64S is the first/only guitar Rickenbacker has made with a zero fret, it's made that way to replicate the current state of Paul's 4001S. The 4001C64 (which doesn't have a zero fret) on the other hand is suposed to replicate Paul's bass as it was when he first got it (why else would it have a reverse headstock). Also find some old pic's of paul playing his Rick in the studio, back when it still had it's fireglow finnish, you can see it doesn't have the zero fret. Again, I'm not sure when he had it installed, but it's not original.

I forgot about the pickguard.

I'll have to go check out the magazine.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:26 am 

I think I read somewhere, sometime...

...that Macca had the Rick modified with a zero fret by an actual luthier to set it up more like his Hofner.

I don't remember reading what the actual motivation was for trying this mod (i.e., was he told it was a good idea?, was it something he thought of himself?, etc.)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:24 am 

I found the issue with the pic in it. I looks like it might be from the "Let it Be" era or from the time of his first solos album, he's rather scruffy looking,w ith a beard.

The bass is basicaly stock except the finish has been removed. I wonder whne he filed down the horns? It was before it got it's overhaul (I think).

Hmmm....

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:43 am 

I had the good fortune of replacing the top nut on his Bass when it came to the factory(Electro String) in the summer of 1974 during the Wings tour. It was brought in mainly because the Horseshoe P-up had died, the Mags wouldn't hold a charge any more so it was replaced with the newer pickup. The Zero fret was added because he liked the way his Hofner was, so he had one put on it in England. When it came in the factory it was bare Maple and had high action that he specified: "do not change the neck" he liked it that way. It was cleaned up, a new nut,pickup and pick guard were installed, it was rushed back over to John and F.C. Hall who gave it to the Roadie waiting with a Limo Driver to take it up to the L.A. Forum for his concert that evening.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:38 pm 

I've seen pictures of Macca playing his bass in the studio, from the "Ram" sessions and it still has the original shape of the horns. So it must have been after that that he shaved them down.

Maybe he wanted to take off some weight? He always said he liked his hofner because it was light.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:51 pm 

Hi "JohnAshfield"

Interesting point you raise here regarding Macca's bass!

But, I also do remember somewhere along the way, Paul M. also acquired a second Ric bass (in natural finish),but I have no idea when that was.

(On several websites there is a pic of Macca holding one blonde Ric, with the second blonde Ric clearly visible on a guitar stand behind him.)

Board index » Just Basses