Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Need help with bass guitars...
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:00 am 

Hello everyone!

I'm new to bass guitars, never played one, but I've played guitar for some time, so I'm not that new to music... I like Rickenbacker bass guitars and I know they're good quality work too (and expensive!). Now, what bass guitar would you recommend to me?

I play hard rock, heavy metal and some progressive music... so, should I buy 4003 or 4004? First, what is this output type? 4004 has only mono, 4003 has mono and stereo (shouldn't it be better then?). And what do you think, 4 string bass vs. 5 string bass? Is that 5th string nessecary?

And one more thing, what would be the perfect amplifier head for 4003/4004 (remember, hard rock / heavy metal!).

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Need help with bass guitars...
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:22 am 

A 4001, 4003 or 4004 will fit into a hard rock / heavy metal mix very well. I've used then all, getting results for excellent tone and cutting through the sound of the band when playing that type of music. I really can't say which one I like better, they each have their own great attributes for sound and feel.
The questions you ask are very good ones, but the answers are subjective due to the amounts of opinions you might get, especially when it comes to amplifiers.
When it comes to using amplifiers in a loud band, you will want an amp with the very least of 200 watt RMS. 300 to 400 or even more would be better, get what you can afford, but don't waste your money on an amp that not be powerful enough for your band. I've been using an SWR SM400 which is a 400 watt RMS head for the past 17 years. There are several excellent bass amp manufacturers: SWR, Ampeg, Eden, Gallien-Krueger, Ashdown and Trace Elliot, just to name a few. Look for the features you want, such as if you want a tube amp or an amp with a tube preamp and solid state power? Some players like a a simple amp with few tone and volume controls, some like alot tone control knobs. Try out a few amps in a music store. The quality and efficiency of the speaker cabinet(s) you use will greatly affect the result of how loud and clear you are.
A 5 string bass is usually my personal preference for that type of music, because of the amount of songs written where the guitars are drop tuned. You can use a drop tuned 4 string bass. Many players do that. It depends on the range you need. I've drop tuned a couple of my 4001 basses and had great results. One was tuned B-E-A-D, and another C#-F#-B-E...until I got my Rick 5 string basses.
The Rick-O-Sound output jack on 4001/3 basses is cool, but few players use it much. I've used it a couple of times when recording. I'd used it alot when I used to demo 4003 basses, but I've never used it at a gig.

Post subject: Re: Need help with bass guitars...
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:54 am 

Thanks!

I'm mainly a guitar player so when it comes to amplifier, I might choose a nice compo. I'm not going to buy a bass guitar anytime soon, I have to buy new guitar and guitar amplifier first, but maybe next year... I might buy a used 4001 or 4003.
Well, what comes to 5 string basses, I've seen plenty of bassist with 4 string basses so I guess 4 string bass is enough.
Too bad the local guitar store (and actually ANY guitar store in this country at all) doesn't have Rickenbackers.. and most of the amplifiers in these shops are behringer or some unknown grandpa-era home-made amplifiers made from old tube radio.
But thanks anyway!

Board index » Just Basses