Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: OK..no Custom Shop, but...
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:57 am 

Wouldn't it be possible to order some features which didn't require re-tooling or major production hassle, ie: leaving binding off, finishing in maple-glo on an instrument usually available only in fireglo, dots instead of triangles, leaving a pickup off, etc. Are any of these things possible?

Post subject: Re: OK..no Custom Shop, but...
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:25 am 

Quote:
Are any of these things possible?
Well, anything is possible but likely is another matter entirely. At this time, Rickenbacker isn't taking any custom orders. It might be helpful though if you describe what model you want and the modifications you would like done. Doesn't mean it will happen but you can at least dream.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:08 am 

Oh, I've dreamed... I don't dare ask for what I really want because I couldn't stand to hear it wasn't possible. Actually, it was a general 'what-if' question. You know, leaving the binding off a 360-12C63, putting dots on the neck and finishing in MG would be a perfect mid-60's 330-12 replica. Seems like this kind of "custom" work would be possible, especially if it involved eliminating a production step or fewer parts.

(Alright - the 360 example was a ruse..what I really wanted was a 4001-C64 with something left off...say no more!)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:48 am 

You'd be better off getting a 4001C64 and having a new pickguard with no pickup hole and only two control holes made for you (PickGuardian?)

That, or you could look for a used 4003S and do the same as above.

Either would be a heck of a lot faster than trying to custom order a bass and waiting for more than a year for the thing (and that would be if Rick was taking custom orders).

Actually, what you want wouldn't really leave out production steps, just involve different ones. A different template would have to be made for the differnt pickguard. You still need to rout for dot inlays and the edges of the fingerboard and body would both need to be rounded off. No leftout steps, just different ones.

~Paul :-)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:04 pm 

Yep, Paul N. Excellent/easy way to do a "4000" model, IF that was what I wanted. I actually had something else in mind.

The 4001 C64 has the dots, no binding, and the reverse headstock I wanted, already. It's the perfect place to start. What I wanted actually involved leaving a step or two out. As I get closer I'll call 'em; all they can do is say, "No". Worst case: I'd be stuck playing an excellent, stock 4001 C64! I don't see a downside, here.

ps: I think the standard headstock is cool, in that it matches the 'cresting-wave' of the body quite nicely. I wanted the reverse headstock of the C64, though, for a different reason: Due to placement of the keys, it looked as though I'd get a little more downforce on the E and A strings and a little less on the D and G strings. In other words, even more clarity down low and slightly more bottom when playing high. It's a balance thing.

Thx for the suggestion.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:47 pm 

I'm fuzzy on this, what exactly do you want? You've been kinda skirting around any specifics, what do you want left out?

~Paul :-)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:51 pm 

I know, I'm thinking it's gotta be something really outlandish with how evasive he's been ;-)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:48 am 

Yes, it was something stupid. I hated to say because I felt it bordered on the sac-ric-ligious. I wanted a C64 w/o the horseshoe or the body-route it rode in on. -just the neck pup and 2 knobs.

OK..I'm ready for the onslaught. (I just hope production ain't reading this)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:43 am 

Well, that would probably look a little silly, in my opinion, but hmmm...

Why not just get the C64 and just have it set on the neck pickup all the time?

I actually also thought that what you wanted was a 4000 model. I've never heard of anything like this before.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:40 am 

Quote:
Why not just get the C64 and just have it set on the neck pickup all the time? (prob'ly what I'll do)
I'm actually dissappointed; I expected more abuse!!

But, seriously, I play at or near the end of the neck most all the time..probably the last bassguy to exploit the 4001's fundamentals and depth. What can I say? Whomp and thump are what do it for me. This type sound requires gargantuan gear to actually pull-off, but the Ric does it best.

Leaving the other pup off was to keep things simple and clean, eliminate superfluousness (??) and add a little wood. Just a thought. I certainly won't be kicking a stock C64 out of bed for eatting eardrums...

Board index » Just Basses