Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Fender Bassman combo amp
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:02 pm 

Has somebody tried the modern version of the Fender Bassman amps (small combos) with the 4003? I'd like to upgrade from my Yorkville bassmaster 50w as a practice and record amp (my main activity, I don't gig at all).

Sorry if this was covered before but, the forum is growing up so fast, and it's getting to be difficult to find certain generic keywords.

Mr Webmaster, can we have an 'advanced search' option for the forums? Just a suggestion :)

Post subject: Re: Fender Bassman combo amp
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:35 am 

a friend of mine has one ... he likes it ...

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:22 am 

I use a Bassman 200 combo (1x15" and tweeter, 200-watt) with my 4003 and like it very much. This model has been recently superceeded by the Bassman 250 (250-watt), available in 1x15" or 2x10" flavors, which I have not used but expect to be similar to or better than mine.

I'm able to dial in deep bass tones or funky highs, and can even get a nice growl using the treble pickup. I don't use any effects with my bass other than the built-in compressor and limiter, so I can't comment on using the effects loop. I definitely like the sounds I can get from it, but keep in mind I only have one bass guitar and haven't tried any others through it.

The only thing I did to mine was to add casters, which come standard on the new models. The new ones also have an external speaker jack, in case you want to power up your 8x10" cab! I can easily add a jack to mine but have had no need so far.

The Fender combo bass amps were never very popular (I don't know why), but mine is about 2-years old, trouble free, and reliable. Price was good, too. Plus you can't beat their 5-year warranty!

Keep in mind it is a small combo and can only do so much. It does not compare to a professional rig in any way, shape or form. I have no problem with solid-state amps for bass, but definitely prefer tubes for guitar. It's loud enough for me to cut through the band at gigs that do not have our equipment run through the PA system. Should I ever find I need more volume, I'll just add another speaker or two.

I also have 2 Fender '94 Twin amps for guitar. Best amps I ever had, bar none.

Hey, Fender! Where's my sales commission? ;)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:46 am 

Thanks for the extended info :D I'll go for it!

But from USA, because here in Mexico Fenders are WAY overpriced.

The bassman 100, with a $350 price tag from Musician's friend, here, in a local music store (infamous because its inflated prices, but an official Fender distributor) I saw it tagged to an equivalent to $590.

it's an abuse!!!!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:54 am 

Quote:

Odd, given that Fender amps are made in Mexico!!!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:40 am 

Incredible but, very true. It was what annoyed me about the price!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:09 am 

my bassman is a 68..........i use a single 15 with a horn............i mic it for off stage............i use it with my 4002...........but i've never been satisfied..............next stop is an svt with a set of 4 x 10 cabs...................

the yorkville b-200 is a great amp for the money........i actually think i'd be happier with that........

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:54 pm 

Quote:
I'll go for it!

The bassman 100, with a $350 price tag from Musician's friend, here, in a local music store (infamous because its inflated prices, but an official Fender distributor) I saw it tagged to an equivalent to $590.

I have a 200w Bassman that I've used off & on for the last 2 or 3 years (1X15 + tweeter) It is pretty good but I find that the steel mesh speaker cover tends to rattle and I have to tighten it alot. On the other hand, when I use it as a stage monitor and use the XLR to the P.A., It sounds really good. By its self its kinda weak for gigging though in my opinion.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:26 pm 

I have a 2002 Bassman 400H w/4-10 inch speakers and 1-15 sub. I love it. It IMO sounds better and has better tone than the SWR 4004 (comparable amp)...an older 4001 through my Fender Bass amp sounds incredible. More of that Ric/Ampeg sound. But it's all what ya want. The only trouble I have had w/my Bassman head is that the insturment input jack went bad after 2 years (happily fixed by the place of purchase for free). Of course I do gig every other weekend almost...

Board index » Just Basses