Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: olive green 4001 bass
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:51 am 

I had a Midnight Blue with black hardware that look purple in the right bright light (sounds like a Dr. Seuss book). It is probably, as others have said, a Jetglo gone awry.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If in fact this is a factory finish, I'd be inclined to think it is a turquoise which has a significantly yellowed clearcoat from exposure to the sun or air pollutants.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:07 am 

I would imagine that if the color changed due to sun exposure, then the color would not be consistent all over the entire instrument. For example, it would be pretty tough to ensure that the front and the back were equally exposed to the sun the same amount of time. Same with the head stock.

Is the color consistent over the entire body?

What concerns me more is what John Hall said about exposure to contaminants in the air.

Living in the suburbs of LA myself, I would like to know if exposure to smog can damange the coats on an instrument, or if Mr. Hall was referring to something more specific (i.e. chlorine gas from a swimming pool or something like that).

I like the finishes on my instruments the way they are now and I would like to keep them that way. I appreciate information like knowing to watch out for certain types of hand soap or guitar stands that can damage the finishes, as has been discussed in other threads.

In fact, such a theme even might make a useful permanent thread. Information that could be in addition to the owner's manuals. For example, owners can post information like "don't use this guitar stand as it may damage your finish" etc. so other owners can be advised. Or don't play your 4003 MID in the water of a chlorine-treated pool. OK, that last one was a little facitious, but you know what I mean. It would be too burdensome to list every caveat in the owner's manual, and a thread might be a reasonable addendum. The manual could in the future say something like "Please feel free to visit the forums at www.rickenbacker.com for other up to date ideas to maintain the beauty of your instrument."

This would generate more traffic (if RIC wants that) and also protect RIC if something new were to come out, RIC wouldn't have to update it's manuals as often as RIC could simply post updates here.

Just a thought.

(No, the webmaster didn't hire me to justify an overtime check!)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:42 am 

color is totaly consistent from bridge to headstock, and doesnt look chemicaly altered at all. and shows no sign of damage. it either came out of the factory or someone did a really good custom job.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:59 am 

This may seem a little obvious and perphaps you've already checked it out..but, have you looked under the pickguard and truss rod cover? If it is a factory original jetglow or turquoise you should certainly be able to tell! There's almost always factory workers' initials and model/color abbreviations. I'm guessing along with JH that if it is factory it's a blue or turquoise that has greened with age like the famous Gibson Pelham Blue.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:12 am 

Quote:
What I see a bit strange is the vol/tone knobs layout. Is it just me?

i noticed that too........not evenly spaced.........

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:50 pm 

Looks period accurate to me.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:02 am 

Quote:
In fact, such a theme even might make a useful permanent thread. Information that could be in addition to the owner's manuals.

The manuals that go out these days all say to go to http://www.rickenbacker.com/manual.pdf for the most current manual version. A lot of the other kind of advice that you are talking about can be found in both the "Setup And Technical" and "RIC Restoration, from Part to Finish" forums. Perhaps at some point I'll make a sticky FAQ thread for each forum that moderators can add to, but then again, this may be redundant to the faq in the service portion of the website.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:31 am 

Regarding the pickgaurd on the bass in question, my 77 4001 has a replacement pickgaurd, in my case a good one. The order of the knobs were changed from front and back to top and bottom, if you follow me, when some previous owner replaced the pickgaurd. But even on mine, the screw holes that hold it to the bass don't line up exactly, one of its issues I plan to eventually address.
That said, it could be that this bass has a more homemade replacement pickgaurd and the holes for the knobs just aren't lined up right.
On the other hand, it could just be a trick of the camera angle.
As for the finish, I would speculate that John Hall is most likely accurate in his assessment, or that it could have been a JG that faded the same way. It looks pretty even to be a home deal. It would be cool if it was custom. Any way you slice it, it's a very unique instrument. I've never seen one that color. I wouldn't be surprised if that upped the value some, if it is an aged factory finish.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:21 am 

I just saw the pics of your Ric. It looks to me that it started out as Jetglo and faded to that green color probably from improper storage. More than likely sun light.
But could be Ozone.
Either way i doubt it is a refininsh.

Board index » Just Basses