Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Just Received My New 4003
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:24 pm 

Well, I am blown away fellow RICers. This is my 7th RIC and by far the best. This is the first RIC that I have not had to adjust the relife in the neck. It is dead on. Speaking of dead, very few dead spots also. I got the Mapleglo finish and it is flawless. I am quite (you said bad word) about my basses and this is one of the best basses I have purchased ever. Very pleased Mr. Hall!!! The dark walnut "wings" on the headstock are beautiful....almost distracting...

Lets talk tone. The new treble switch that takes the cap and puts it into the circuit, is VERY noticiable. This is NOT a subtle difference in sound. It sounds way cool. Very "old school". The action is low and tight, with just a hint of fret buzz when played hard...I set it up this way as this is the style and sound I like from a RIC. I am using the stock strings for now but will put d'addario Prosteels on it. Man, stainless on a RIC....talk about tone!
Now I have read about weak E string response from some owners here. Not the case on my RIC. All strings loud and proud. I did adjust the front pickup that was noticbly higher on the g string side. All in all, a beautifuly crafted bass. Very pleased indeed.

Post subject: Re: Just Received My New 4003
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:41 pm 

Congratulations...that sounds so gorgeous ....I have a 4001c64s on order....the dark walnut on the 4003 head stock sounds amazing...I saw a picture on Fuller's Vintage Guitars on a MG w/the walnut wings and thought it was a misprint...I am tempted to order a 4003 mg as well....

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:37 am 

Cool, you are making it hard for me, as I wait for my 4003mg/lh/rg. enjoy my friend, I will let you know how my new bass sounds as soon as I get it. peace:)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:29 am 

Congrats, Jim. So glad it is a positive experience. No need to rub the walnut wings in though! How about a link to pics?!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:22 am 

i'm very happy for you, enjoy the best. i hope to be recieving my 4003jg soon.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:18 am 

Its to cool ! Congrates and rock on !

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:29 pm 

Quote:
Congrats, Jim. So glad it is a positive experience. No need to rub the walnut wings in though! How about a link to pics?!

WOOO HOOO...they sure are pretty....LOL...I will put the pic up in a couple days...just still tweakin the setup...

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:17 am 

Congrats on your new Ric! Sounds awesome.

All of my bassplaying life I have been looking for a "Rickenbacker-like" sound. I have a 1982 Washburn Scavenger Bass that has some nice growl and clank to it when played right.

I also have a bass which I customized and put in a Duncan quarter pounder and a duncan rickenbacker replacement pickup. Great sounds but the bridge pickup placement seems to be too close to the bridge. I get the clank out of it but not nearly enough low end.

I finally decided to break down and get the real thing.

I am very low on cash at the moment. I'm having an accounts receivable issue. To make a long story short (too late), I ran across a deal a couple of weeks ago that I could not refuse. I am now the proud owner of the real deal. I have a 2004 Rickenbacker 4003JG.

I thought I had a Ric-Like tone? Not even close. The real deal is it. The sound cuts through the rest of the band. You can hear each and every note. It's not overpowering. It has plenty of low end to hold down the bottom yet, it doesn't sound muffled or muddy.

Why did I wait so long?

Rickenbacker - There is no substitute

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:46 am 

Quote:
Congrats on your new Ric! Sounds awesome.

All of my bassplaying life I have been looking for a "Rickenbacker-like" sound. I have a 1982 Washburn Scavenger Bass that has some nice growl and clank to it when played right.

I also have a bass which I customized and put in a Duncan quarter pounder and a duncan rickenbacker replacement pickup. Great sounds but the bridge pickup placement seems to be too close to the bridge. I get the clank out of it but not nearly enough low end.

I finally decided to break down and get the real thing.

I am very low on cash at the moment. I'm having an accounts receivable issue. To make a long story short (too late), I ran across a deal a couple of weeks ago that I could not refuse. I am now the proud owner of the real deal. I have a 2004 Rickenbacker 4003JG.

I thought I had a Ric-Like tone? Not even close. The real deal is it. The sound cuts through the rest of the band. You can hear each and every note. It's not overpowering. It has plenty of low end to hold down the bottom yet, it doesn't sound muffled or muddy.

Why did I wait so long?

Rickenbacker - There is no substitute

Amen- I think I will let my wife read your statement since she doesnt uderstand why i'm so crazy about ric basses. peace

Board index » Just Basses