Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Paint Renewal
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:11 pm 

Am interested in redoing the paint job on my Vintage '74 4001. Has lots of damage from belt buckets and the like.
I've been told by some that keeping it the way it is, is the best as way to hold value over the years, but, others have said that it really doesn't matter. 99% of the damage is on the back, so rarely seen. Have some very small chips on the front that can't be seen from a distance. I personally think that what damage there is, gives it it's own personality. I really don't have ANY intention of selling it, but am going to will it to my kids. So, does anybody have input for me over this dilemma?

Mark

Post subject: Re: Paint Renewal
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:47 am 

Personally, I'd let it go. Well, that is unless you really feel it's going to the grave with you. So many polarized opinions on this! I tend to let it go, and market it as "mojo" if and when I part with a bass. Some are comfy only when their guitars are near mint, which I also understand. Small touch ups don't seem to be as negatively looked upon as total refins it seems.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:14 am 

If you are not concerned with keeping it factory then think refinish. With the back as bad as you state, there is not a lot of reason not to refinish. Two things to consider in favor of that is moisture getting into the wood and also dirt that would take bleaching to remove. Personally, and this is my opinion, I would look to Paul (Jingle_jangle) or Dale Fortune to make it look like the day it left the factory. They are both forum members, and if you look on the Restoration forum you can see some of their work.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:31 pm 

You don't mention the color...

JG is an easy touch up. Just get yourself one of those lacquer touch-up pens at the auto store. Any kind of burst is nigh impossible, and MG is OK to use clear nail polish as long as no dirt got into the nick or chip first!

If you want to pass it on to your grand-kids and you don't want to see them put it on eBay as "Grandpa's old piece of S***--what was he thinking--the old coot lost it years ago" then bite the bullet and pop for a refin. Either Dale or I can help you. Dale's in Aloha, OR and I'm in SF, CA. We both do total refins to factory standards in your choice of colors, etc.

Board index » Just Basses