Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: QUALITY (OR LACK OF)
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:48 pm 

I have been buying basses for over 30 years, (yikes!) and the one thing that has stood out, has been RIC quality. As far back as I can remember, all my RIC's have been basicly flaw free. Setup has been an issue, but I play with very low action, so setup would be an issue on just about any bass. I currently own a Spector and EBMM and the Spector is a close second to the RIC with, unfortunatly, the EBMM a distant third. It sounds great but was thrown together far to quickly, as I have discovered, this seems to be a problem over at EBMM with complaints on different forums as I write this. Still, EBMM are a good "entry level" high end bass, but the RIC is supurb in its' distinct sound and manufacturing. Customer service is great at RIC having used them to help me with some various problems with a dealer to my satisfaction. As I am getting used to my new 4003, I am just loving the tone and feel of it. The walnut wings on the headstock look great and the new treble pickup switch is great. Thank you John Hall.

Post subject: Re: QUALITY (OR LACK OF)
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:16 pm 

I know what you are saying, I love my new 4003 maple glow and those wings are so retro wow. I first ordered a midnight blue and was surfing and seen they had a maple glow so I grabed it. No buyers remorse here. I own alot other basses fender P,J basses 3 gibsons 2 4001s (love the neck on the older basses) some brands like tobias which is close in quality and sound. But the new 4003 blows them all away easy.
I respectfully disagree with you on the set up. All I had to due was tune her up and it was ready to be played. A few other bass players on this site agree they wrote the same thing tune and go. I dont know how low you like the action. I think if you went any lower you would start getting some buzz. But hey man good luck with your new bass.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:27 pm 

The quality of Ricks is superb I agree, but you can't really complain with the setup of a new bass when you buy it for one main reason...

No two people like their bass set up the same way.

I've always been able to get my 4003's set-up the way I like (which isn't the case with other basses I've owned), but I never expect the guy at the factory (or the store) to know how I like my bass setup.

Also, the walnut wings look incredible with the Blue-burst finish. And the new Tone Switch is too cool for words.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:28 pm 

I do like my action low...the neck was set perfect...just a hint of bow...I lowered my strings so they will "fret buzz" with agressive playing....also, I deepened the groove on the e string saddle and it improved my e string response noticebly....if anyone is having "quiet e string" problems, I recommend you adjust your pickups first and then check your bridge saddles...also, call c/s first before any modification as they know best.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:49 am 

I will agree about the quality of Rickenbacker, second to none. I am surprised about your problem with EBMM. From my experience, they also have excellent QC. Have you voiced your problems on the EB forum?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:28 am 

I'm surpirsed also ( and disagree with your EBMM statements)

I own both rics and stingrays and find them both to be of extremely high quality . So much so I have never had to deal with customer service for either
As for EBMM being thrown together far to quickly .. i wont go there needless to say again I disagree . Perhaps if you were talking Ibanez or Fender perhaps
Both Ric and EB have great forums with input from their respective CEO's and both companies excel IMHO with their unique and distinctive products

We all have bass preferences and different experiences with companies .Enjoy all your basses .

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:09 pm 

My 4003 took 2 setups to get it perfect. But now, perfect is what it is, and it's stayed that way. I think there's just more to them than other basses. I didn't mind having to have two setups done at all. I felt like I was really getting a precision instrument that was able to be tweaked iota by iota specifically for me, and I haven't been disappointed at all. Even my nearly 30 year-old 4001 plays beautifully. I played it for over 4 hours tonight.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:22 pm 

Quote:
I will agree about the quality of Rickenbacker, second to none. I am surprised about your problem with EBMM. From my experience, they also have excellent QC. Have you voiced your problems on the EB forum?

Yes I have. Was "ganged up on" there. IMHO, a useless forum if you have any questions that imply their product is not the best. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:35 pm 

I took my P bass and my 4003 to practice Thursday night. I played the P on the 1st song and the 4003 on all the rest. No comparison. I've played P basses that played really well but my 4003 just blows them away in my opinion. The P bass is up for sale now.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:23 am 

I traded a lefty ebmm sterling bass in on my 4003 mg lefty which is on order. I havnt owned a new ric in over twenty years, but ebmm is not the same quality as a ric. This is my opinion and only my opinion. My 79 kramer dmz5000 had better quality then the ebmm.

Board index » Just Basses