Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Treble (bridge) pick-up enhancement
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:06 pm 

I have a '74 - 4001. Being that the pick-ups are "old school", the bridge pick-up has never had the "oomph"
that the neck pick-up has.
I've heard that by soldering a wire to
to "Jump" the .0047mf capacitor between
the neck pick-up and the bridge pick-up, will over-ride the capacitor, by finding the route of least resistance and will allow more guts to come from the bridge pick-up. Has anybody tried this? What results did you get when you did? or is this NOT a good thing to do? In-put anyone? hate to just go ahead & do it without substantial in-put.
I've thought about getting "new school" pick-ups, but have heard that the newer ones just don't have the same sound.

Post subject: Re: Treble (bridge) pick-up enhancement
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:11 pm 

I've done this mod for years on all my Rics and for many customers. It's considered non-invasive and easily reversible. The sound difference is remarkable. Large increase in gain, mids and lows. Basically like the neck pickup with a bit less bass due to the location closer to the bridge. Makes the bass a lot less one-dimensional for some players. I get a nice funky fingerstyle sound out of the modded Ricks. Highly recommended, and preferable to pickup replacement, in my opinion!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:34 pm 

I owned a '74 model 4001. I had to run in stereo to get around the cap deal. It was the only way to get "all" of what the treb-pup was doing. It did involve using the 2nd channel of an SVT I had, then, but, the added blessing was that I could EQ each pup to perfection. (didn't know about the cap trick then)

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:18 am 

Quote:
I owned a '74 model 4001. I had to run in stereo to get around the cap deal. It was the only way to get "all" of what the treb-pup was doing. It did involve using the 2nd channel of an SVT I had, then, but, the added blessing was that I could EQ each pup to perfection. (didn't know about the cap trick then)

Using the Rick-O-Sound does not "get around the cap deal". The cap is still in circuit.

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:08 am 

Can't explain it, other than the fact I could -then- play just the treb pup and the bottom "was there"; it wasn't when switching to treb-only in mono. I think my 4001 was a '74; I bought it that fall. Burgundy and high-gains and that's what IT did.

I thought it was common knowledge, back then. -certainly opened-up an entire 'nuther sonic realm; in mono, the treb-pup-only setting was fairly devoid of all bottom-end.

Oh, incidentally, my Rick-O-Sound box was shorted when I got it; I ended-up with a set of stereo Whirlwind cables and 'Y'. (wouldn't have made any difference on the cap deal,though)

Board index » Just Basses