Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Rickenbacker folded horn
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:42 pm 

Does anybody remember the big Rickenbacker 1x18, folded-horn bassguitar cabinet? -ever play one? -got one? I was always curious about these.

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker folded horn
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:09 am 

With my limited experience with folded horns,I can tell you that they may not be the best because, you will find that you won't be able to hear your bass up close to your amp. By the time you get it loud enough for you to hear, it'll be BLASTING!!! 30-40 feet away. It's the nature of folded horns. The are built to project,you know,Loooonnnggg throw. Four tens,eight tens, two fifteens,depending on your budget and or taste would be much better in my opinion.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:04 am 

Quote:
Does anybody remember the big Rickenbacker 1x18, folded-horn bassguitar cabinet? -ever play one? -got one? I was always curious about these.

I never knew that they (Ric) made one…

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:50 am 

Yep..well aware of big horn stuff (I survived the 70's). I was just curious as to these particular ones Ric made.

I can't exactly recall the year catalog I spotted it in but it seems to me, it was around the time of the Road amplifiers. All I remember was it was huge and had a very large "Rickenbacker" logo over the entire, middle front panel. -just wondered if anyone had any experience with 'em.

I tried a buddy's Acoustic 370 and really freaked it out with the 4001 I had at the time. The only one which could "take it" was a refrigerator-sized Peavey folded horn (1x18). I was just curious about Ric's own folded horn.

Incidentally, of all the horns, the one my Ric actually hurt was a Fender PSB. Just remembering back..

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:43 am 

I had an 18'' folded horn cab when I got my first Ric. This was back when they shipped with flatwound strings. So I plug in and I'm like "THAT doesn't sound like Chris Squire!". Eventually got hip to round wounds, bought an Ampeg 2x15 and a Marshall guitar head. THAT sounded like Chris Squire!

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:46 am 

I owned an acoustic 370 and 301 bottom back in the 70 and early 80's. Played my rick thru it, at the time I was in a 3 pce rock band. I had no trouble being heard. I wish I still had it today, what a sound. BALLS TO THE WALL>

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:38 am 

I have an old (bought in 1973) Peavey F800B amp with 2 F118S cabinets. The cabs are short folded horns each with a rear facing 18" Cerwin-Vega. They're 32" tall x 28 wide x 24 deep. I agree with the statement that they're virtually impossible to really appreciate any closer than about 20-30 feet. Out beyond that, they will knock you over.

For the usual small to medium clubs, I would recommend 4x10 or 4x12 cabs. For larger clubs, stack the 4x on top of a direct radiating (front facing) 15 or 18. If you're playing in a gymnasium or auditorium, those two folded 18's are just the ticket when sitting under a pair of 4x12 cabs. The 4x12's are for you on the stage and the bright end of things for the first few rows of the audience. The folded 18's carry the bottom everywhere else, and the PA (your bass should be included in that mix too) will carry the higher part for you to the remainder of the house.

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:41 am 

Quote:
I have an old (bought in 1973) Peavey F800B amp with 2 F118S cabinets. The cabs are short folded horns each with a rear facing 18" Cerwin-Vega. They're 32" tall x 28 wide x 24 deep. I agree with the statement that they're virtually impossible to really appreciate any closer than about 20-30 feet. Out beyond that, they will knock you over.

For the usual small to medium clubs, I would recommend 4x10 or 4x12 cabs. For larger clubs, stack the 4x on top of a direct radiating (front facing) 15 or 18. If you're playing in a gymnasium or auditorium, those two folded 18's are just the ticket when sitting under a pair of 4x12 cabs. The 4x12's are for you on the stage and the bright end of things for the first few rows of the audience. The folded 18's carry the bottom everywhere else, and the PA (your bass should be included in that mix too) will carry the higher part for you to the remainder of the house.

Rosby speaks the truth. I owned a Peavey "half-W" like this. -couldn't kill it. The really devastating one was the huge full-W Peavey, though. Loudest horn I ever played through. Most definitely yes on using a DR (direct-radiating) cab in conjunction with these. Had to.

I'm sure glad we wised-up (and survived the 70's). At this point in my life, heaving folded horns doesn't make sonic or orthopaedic sense!

Board index » Just Basses