Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Baby needs a truss rod cover!!!
 Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:04 am 

In 1985, I found a 1973 4001 in a pawn shop and bought it for $200. It's been my prized possession ever since. You can probably guess that for $200, it must have been in pretty rough condition. Well, it was. So bad that its authenticity was in question for a time ( I have since determined that it's the real deal, just beat up). Problem: Among other things, the truss rod cover was missing. I've had to rework the electronics, the "R" logo is missing, the bridge was replaced with a badass bass II unit (actually, it works killer, so no matter what, it stays), and has been retrofitted with Schaller tuners (they also work killer, but I have to retune it every time it comes out of the case, but no big). Given the mods, the former owner must have been a Geddy Lee wannabe. Solution: since finding one has proven to be a real hassle (you know the rules at RIC, and some guy on ebay wants $200 for one), I thought maybe I could, with some help from a Dremel, a machinist ruler, a steady hand, and some help from some Rickenbacker enthusiasts, piece one together. Any help in this regard would be appreciated. I'll Pay!!

Post subject: Re: Baby needs a truss rod cover!!!
 Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:37 am 

drew, since you only paid $200 for the bass, why don't you just go for one you see on ebay? The authenticity would be worth it. Since you seem to know RIC policy about TRC's so they can protect their trademarks, I find it funny that you come to this forum to ask for info about making a faker.

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:22 am 

Quote:
drew, since you only paid $200 for the bass, why don't you just go for one you see on ebay? The authenticity would be worth it. Since you seem to know RIC policy about TRC's so they can protect their trademarks, I find it funny that you come to this forum to ask for info about making a faker.
Sorry, I just want to make it look right. By the way, if I wanted a faker, I could easily find a knock-off. p.s.: a multi-colored piece would look kinda cool, my plastic is black. Oh yeah, and as you can probably tell, I'm on a low budget.
Raising a family, and all.

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:47 am 

Given the reply that I received from Rickenbrother, I would like to clarify a few things. First of all, I would like to applaud his concern regarding the trademark. That is why I don't buy a knock-off. I consider this kind of act as an act of theft. Secondly, I am NOT trying to improve the resale value of this bass. To me, it is priceless. I would sooner sell a kidney. So, enough with bagging on me on my "motivation". For 21 years, my 4001 has performed admirably in the studio as well as on stage WITHOUT a truss rod cover. I am sure that it will continue to do so. I am looking for help, not criticism. Thanks again!

Board index » Just Basses