Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: alternate tuning...
 Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:13 pm 

i was just wondering if anyone out there used the tuning B-E-A-D on their bass... i recently discovered it and right away felt that it would fit my style quite well. im going to rig up one of my old beginer basses in that tuning today to experiment with it a bit, but i was wondering if anyone used it as their standard tuning on a rickenbacker, seems to me a rickenbacker would be a logical situation where this tuning would be used since their are not too many 5 strings in the ric family lying around and some people into heavier music might want that extra low end. if you have experience with this tuning or know more about it let me know, id love to hear peoples opinions. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: alternate tuning...
 Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:43 pm 

my buddy bought a new roscoe beck 5 string last year........his drummer wanted him to get a 5 string just for a few new tunes they do..........i mentioned that he shoulda bought a cheap 4 string and de-tuned to " b e a d ".........then if he was happy with that,..........go get a better bass to replace it...........i would have had no problem going that route.........

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:01 pm 

I had 0ne 4001 bass strung BEAD and another strung C#F#BE until I was able to get a Rick 5 string. Both basses performed very well with these alternate tunings. I had other 5 string basses at the time, but I much prefer the overall performance of my Rickenbackers.

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:50 pm 

I tried that tuning once. I didn't like the floppy strings feeling; I played hard at that time and there was too much noise from strings vibrating against the frets.

If you're going to keep the bass in that dropped tuning permanently, you'll want to have the action/truss rod, etc... checked by a pro. Better yet, you may want to take it to a pro first and have him/her do it for you.

The lessened tension on the neck might do some funny things to the bass over time... but I don't know for sure.

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:00 pm 

I have a Fireglo Laredo strung that way. If you're going to do it, don't detune the EADG strings as they will be too floppy. Get a B string meant for a five-string (or six-string) bass and modify the nut to hold the fatter strings. If you're going to change all the strings, it might be more economical to buy a five-string set and just toss the G string.

I think the low B string on a Laredo sounds great. It took some getting used to as I play by ear and position. You gain five notes at the bottom end with this setup, but lose the top five notes on what would have been the G string. My problem was remembering to move everything either "up" one string, or "up" five frets. After a while, I'll get used to it.

Board index » Just Basses