Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Bass nut question
 Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:17 am 

I have two 4003 basses. One is 2 years old and the other is 20 years old. I really like the action on the newer one so I bought a new nut from the boutique section for the older one since it has a different nut. The only problem is the slots on the new nut are not as deep as the one on the newer bass and I need to make them deeper. Is there a certain tool I could use to do this? Adjusting the bridge to help the action did not work because of the older style nut. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Bass nut question
 Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:47 am 

Adjusting the bridge will not effect the action all the way on the other end at the nut. I had the action lowered on my Monty 4003 at the shop I bought it at.

What they did was file the grooves in the nut where the strings set in with a file. It worked well. Be careful doing this as not to scratch the fretboard like the shop did on mine (although the scratches are minor it still pisses me off). Either file the nut gentle snugged in a vice or tape off the fretboard.

Buy a file narrow enough to slide into the G groove. Rics are designed with with hi action and probably should be left higher than your other basses. Remember you can file a litle more off but you can't put it back. Then you can readjust the bridge action.

String selection is critical too. Favorites are the Rics, TI's and rotos, just a matter of preference. Good luck.

Post subject: Re: Bass nut question
 Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:52 am 

Thanks for the advice! I think I have just the file for the job.

Board index » Just Basses