Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: 4003 MIA
 Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:20 am 

Hi Everyone,
I hate to introduce myself on a sour note, but it is entirely necessary...
About this time last year I, at the tender age of 41, finally got the one inanimate object I've craved and fantasized about since I turned 16 and discovered the Beatles, that being my Ric 4003 bass.
Last Tuesday morning, some f*#k@!s broke into my house and stole it, so I'm putting the info out everywhere I can possibly think of.
It's Turquoise with white trim, Ric-O-Sound and Stereo, original pick-ups and not a scratch or worn mark on the fret board, or anywhere else for that matter. The night before it got stolen, I had put new flat-wound strings on it. It's in a Ric hard case with one broken latch and a yellow Ric cloth, and the serial number is 105654.
I've got everyone I know in the country on the lookout for it, but if any of y'all out there have any suggestions or happen to run into it, please let me know.
I'll kindly put out whatever reward I'm capable of at the time just for the chance to beat whoever took it to a pulp with my plexiglass travel bass and send them hitch-hiking home with it sticking out of their a$$.
Otherwise, good to meet you all and I look forward to further communications with all of you.
Peace-out!

Post subject: Re: 4003 MIA
 Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:35 am 

Hey Phil ... really sorry about that - stealing a mans Rickenbacker should be a hanging offence. Really hope you get it back

Bob

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:42 am 

That SUCKS.

I had my 4003 (my main bass for the past 10 years) stolen back in February.

Having an instrument stolen is so aggravating, especially when it's a Rick.

I'll keep me eye out for your bass.

Hopefully it will turn up.

- Zack

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Phillip, I don't see your bass in the warranty database. You may want to forward all of your personal contact information to customer service so they can enter it. There's provision there for flagging an instrument as stolen and we've been able to alert people before when stolen instruments have turned up by having this info on record.

Also, I think your serial must begin "01" to be valid, assuming it's a 2001 model bass.

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:36 am 

Thanks to y'all for the support responses...
John, I'll forward that information to Customer Service. Thanks for the tip.
I e-mailed the guy I bought it from to get any back-up documentation and photos he had and originally used to get my attention, but I haven't heard back from him yet.
I have my suspicion about who took it, and that the break in was purely for the bass, and the ransacking and two other items taken were just to make it look more general.
I just checked again and the serial number on file is 05654,
without the "1". Does that make any sense? Would that make it a 2005? I've also noticed that I haven't seen any other turquoise Rics on Ebay or any of the other sources of used and vintage instruments. Is that a standard color?
A few months ago, I decided for several reasons that a few things like my bass would be safer somewhere else and I think that the somewhere else I chose works both sides of the business. Maybe even had a buyer already. It was obvious to me, as only the beloved of a man would see, that it had been handled or played during it's "safe" stay.
Thanks!

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I just checked again and the serial number on file is 05654, without the "1".
Can't be- look at the second photo to the right on the serial number decoder page:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/service_serials.asp

You probably have a 01 on the other side of the plate or at least some number indicating the year. The "05" means the fifth week of the year and the last 3 digits are random (but unique).

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:08 am 

Sorry to hear that phillipf! I had a home break-in some years ago (which never leaves you). I had dreams for a while. Anyway, I was very lucky that my instruments (including my cherished and rare '82 4001S), computer, and main stereo, etc., were in the lower level which wasn't touched. Just the living room and master bedroom were hit and the usual things taken. I was very fortunate. The stuff they took either could easily be replaced or didn't work (my old Sony CDP-35 CD player for instance - Ha!). They did also take my essentially worthless high school ring as well, which couldn't be replaced.

My first car at 17 was a rust bucket 10 year old '69 Chevy Camaro. A guy around my age on the next street over also had one. One night a neighbor saw someone going through my car. By the time I got out there I couldn't find anything missing, but my glovebox was open. I think he was after the original owner's manual - which I still have BTW, though the car is long gone!

Pawn shops still end up with stolen stuff even though precautions are taken. The local pawn shops are the first place I'd check if you think it was turned over for money. A trombone player (trombone.org forum) had his recently stolen horn show up in a pawn shop and he got it back, which was a happy ending. Ebay is another obvious place to watch. You have many eyes via this forum.

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:03 am 

I have referenced this thread on another Rick forum:

http://www.rickresource.com/discus/mess ... 1147755762

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:42 pm 

Phillip, sorry to here that your Rick was stolen. I hope that you will recover it soon.

Bob, I agree with you!!

Board index » Just Basses