Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: 4003 pickup replacement
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:23 am 

has anyone out there installed those seymour duncan rickenbacker humbuckers? they are apparently designed to fit right into a 4003. If you do use them... what do you think? they apparentlty add more low end, my only concern is that they would take away from the treble punch. let me know! thanks.

Post subject: Re: 4003 pickup replacement
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:37 am 

I've got a set. They do basically drop right in. Some minor adjustments are required to center the neck pup & the bridge pup doesn't like to fit through the opening of the surround. It's fine if you leave it down in the hole a bit.

Now then! Sound. Ahem...uhhh...well...they have more output & are splittable.
The tone is rather bland.
They're also more expensive than RIC pickups, so there is really no reason to buy them unless you have an overwhelming problem with hum & really need humbuckers.
The RIC original pickups (and I presume the replacements) sound much more appropriate, after all you bought a Rick so you can get that Rick sound. The SD's defeat the purpose.

I like their guitar pickups.

Consider why you have a Rick before swapping parts.
It'll save you a lot of money & quite a bit of disappointment.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:39 am 

Actually, I tried the bridge pickup in my 4000, & it didn't sound too bad.
The 4000 has tons of treble, but lacks in the low end compared to a 4001. The SD gave it a more balanced tone, so I guess they do add a little bottom at the expense of clarity in the high frequencies.
They make a 4001 sound quite dark & muddy.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:10 am 

I've tried the Seymour Duncan replacement pickups for Rick 4001 / 4003 basses. Seymour Duncan makes some excellent pickups, but to my ears, the ones made for Rick basses sound kind of bland. I think Bartolini replacement pickups for Rick basses sound better than the SD's, but RIC basses sound best with RIC pickups.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:14 am 

I have tried seymour duncan srb1-b (bridge), and srb1-n (neck) and bartolini 6RC (bridge) that I got of ebay.

I tried the bartolini in the neck and the srb1-b in the bridge. The bartoline sounded hotter and deeper. I moved the bartolini to the bridge (its supposed position) and it sound s better (to my ears) than the srb1-n I have in the neck, but more equilibrated.

My advice, either pickup is good enough, I'd go for bartolinis if sure to change, but I'm not sure they are more adecuate than a pair of RIC higains in good shape...

Actually they are quieter than single coils, so if this is a concern to you..

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:36 am 

well i can only speak by personal taste, i put toasters in my 1980. 4001. and my 2006, 4003.and absolutly love them . i prefer, to keep ric. parts in my rics.. the toaters are very warm. and i wouldnt have it any other way.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:43 pm 

Why mess with perfection?
I installed Seymour Duncan pickups in my new 4003 jetglo and removed the surround for easier playability. Then sold the original p. ups on ebay. (it came stock with a toaster!) I regret not leaving it stock. I come from the era when we all customized our guitars and basses to death. Eventually I will restore it to its original state. It still sounds amazing with the Duncans, but since this is my first Ric I don't have anything to compare it to. I am buying a second 4003 and leaving it stock. I've never seen so many people buy a $1500 instrument and turn around and say "I need another one!" By the way, I have used SD pickups for years and I think they're great , just unnecessary on a Ric.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:01 am 

I'm thinking about the old "Bartolini in the mute cavity" trick... but I'm also thinking I might just sell my 4001 and pony up the difference to get a new 4003, which I will leave bone stock.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:04 am 

I have one of the bartolini mute cavity pickups ... It was ok but it didn't really improve the Ric sound in any way ... also I had to remove some wood to make it fit ... a better option is get a neck jazz pickup remove the cover and trim the bobbin and it will fit in the mute cavity ...

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:26 am 

Jeff, how do you just manage to find so many j-bass neck pickups? You must have a surplus of j-bass bridge pickups, unless you use them for other bass projects.

Board index » Just Basses