Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Why did they stop?
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:33 pm 

I've been a fan of Ric basses since I first heard the 'In The City' album by The Jam about 14 years ago. I am finally in a position to own one myself and couldn't be happier! I have, however, noticed someting - why do so many of our heroes stop playing Rics? As noted elsewhere in this forum, Macca only uses his Hofner on his new aalbum; Geddy only uses Fender Js nowadays; The great Bruce Foxton Only used 4001s for a couple of years before turning to Fender Ps, Epiphone Rivolis, and even an Ibanez! Even the great Ox used Fenders, Gibsons, Danelectros, Ampegs and his own strange hybrid basses more than his Rics. Does anyone know why they all changed away from the greates basses ever made?

Ajax

Post subject: Re: Why did they stop?
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:06 pm 

The Ox had dozens of instruments, he never used anything exclusively.

For some, I suspect the reason they switched was because of money. I doubt it's very easy to get a Rickenbacker instrument for free, and even more unlikely that you can get paid to play one.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:11 pm 

well,......when they have the kinda money macca and the ox made, i fail to see where money would be an issue.............i have an average income......i play my RIC exclusively and i buy my own roto-sounds.........i do it because i love that instrument........it's simply the best quality bass on the market........and it didn't put me in the poor house to buy it and the strings i use.......
as far as getting paid for it,.............all of us get paid when we play a gig or record.........and i think the big fellas get paid a lot more that most of us and can more than absorb the cost.......plus,.....RICs last much longer......that's a testament to the quality and care the company puts into each and every instrument produced....

to me,.........it's like saying that some top hollywood movie star who gets 20 million a pic, drives a chevette cuz he can't afford a cadillac........

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:20 pm 

Why give up a versatile, well-playing, great-sounding bass? Maybe, like Colonel Potter preferring "rot-gut" whiskey, they need some sort of limitation to lean against. A great bass does kinda put the onus on the player...

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Paul has a bad back and simply needs the lightest possible instrument during a long show. Be assured his Rick's get plenty of use in the studio and any info to the contrary is erroneous and/or was supplied with an agenda. I know because I've visited him in the studio.

Geddy also uses his Rick's in the studio and got a new black one not so many years ago. However, he has a marketing agreement with Fender for his namesake model, so of course that's wht he's going to show publicly.

I don't have any info what the story was with Foxton.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:48 pm 

Mr. Hall, I promise not to use Pauly's bad back as further grist for the bring-back-the-4005 mill.
(Yes, I know the weight's similar to the 4001..just couldn't resist!)
------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know if or which tracks Geddy used his jet-glo on "Moving Pictures"? I can hear the other bass alot and just know the 4001 would'a be much better for those sounds and songs.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:02 pm 

From one of the Jam websites

Bruce Foxton's Equipment after the RIC

Fender Precision Bass guitar with maple neck (one split pick-up) - the classic rock bass guitar (the first ever made) which Bruce adopted after recording "Modern World" in an attempt to obtain a richer tone for his melodic lines. Despite not having the "mod" image of the Rickenbacker, the Fender is the bass most used by Bruce throughout The Jam’s career.

Epiphone Rivoli Bass guitar (2 pick-up semi-acoustic) - used in the studio to obtain a more conventional bass sound.

Though there has been so much conflicting information about The Jam I wouldn't say that it is 100% correct.

Steve

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:38 am 

Quote:
Paul has a bad back and simply needs the lightest possible instrument during a long show. Be assured his Rick's get plenty of use in the studio and any info to the contrary is erroneous and/or was supplied with an agenda. I know because I've visited him in the studio...

Such an explanation, Mr. Hall! I was sure Paulie didn't just thrown away his wonderful bass!

Is his bass in bare wood yet, John? I wonder how do they do to keep it in good condition!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:02 am 

Quote:

Does anyone know if or which tracks Geddy used his jet-glo on "Moving Pictures"? I can hear the other bass alot and just know the 4001 would'a be much better for those sounds and songs.

Are you kidding? The bass tone, and the sound of EVERYTHING on Moving Pictures is damn near perfect, as is the production. I don't care what bass he used on it, that album, along with Permanent Waves, are Rush's two flawless albums (among several outstanding ones).

Mr. Hall, very cool you visit Paul in the studio. I bet that's quite a thrill, huh? Do you maintain personal contact with Geddy regularly, too?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:27 am 

From what I remember reading long ago, Geddy used the Rick for everything on Moving Pictures except Vital Signs, for which he used the same Jazz bass that he now plays. There was a studio video years ago for Vital Signs that showed him playing the Jazz. It was a funny video, there were three Geddy's, one playing bass, one keyboards, and one singing.

Board index » Just Basses