Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why did they stop?
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:30 pm 

Geddy used many different amps ... these days live he has various washers, dryers, and vending machines behind him ... he uses sans amp and other similar technology ... he splits his signal 3 ways ... one regular, one with boosted bass and one with distortion ... the sound man mixes the 3 signals and Geddy hears it with the in ear monitor system ... this is an excellent way to do a live performance ... you have control over your sound and you don't blow your ears out ... the whole PA becomes your bass amp ...

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:46 am 

I've used in-ear monitors before and I wasn't all that impressed with them. It sounded a little too compressed to me. Although I don't really like moving a heavy amp rig either. So I suppose it's either one or the other.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:44 am 

In-ears is the way to go for medium to large preformances ... you can hear EVERYTHING ... most concerts are done that way ... wedge monitors increase stage volume and feedback ... in-ears are a real plus for a drummer ... most musicians prefer the sound of not using the in-ear monitors but it is next to impossible to balance stage volume properly so the players can hear as well as they do with in-ears ... with the in-ears you have all of the vocals and instruments right in your ears ... no boomy distant ambiguous noise ...

with in-ears I don't blow my ears out ... with in-ears the band is tighter ... with in-ears if I want to be louder I turn the bass volume up in my in-ear mix ... it does not effect stage volume ...

Small amps, disciplined musicians, low stage volume, a big PA and a good sound man ... that is the way I like to preform live ...

I hate plaing in bands with big amps, high stage volume, floor monitors, a bad sound man, and a loud drummer ...

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:31 am 

I believe there is a new generation of young Ric players coming up, especially with the excellent basses they have been making. Rics have never sounded better, you can even get that old midrange-less twangy 4001 sound with the pull out cap control.
I use old Ampeg SVT's with my Rics and have now for over 30 years, they are an integral part of my sound. I have read in various forums that live Lee's sound is not what it used to be when he was using real amps instead of a box on the floor to get canned sounds. I make my sound with my own hands, bass and amp. I use no effects and never have and I almost always get compliments on my sound from sound men and other musicians. I wrench the sound out of the basses. I don't let a little box do it for me.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:34 am 

get the R30 dvd ... his tone couldn't be better ... on Rio and different stages he had a thin trebly sound ... but the r30 is about as good as it gets ...

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:37 am 

every time I play through an svt I am dissapointed ...

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:59 pm 

Entwistle had a couple of 60s Ric basses ... he strung them up with high tension rotosound string and bowed the neck ... he really liked the feel of the 60s ric necks but they weren't strong enough to hold his roto sound strings ...

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:36 pm 

I hate to say this but I think its just pure boredom and the ever changing quest to find the perfect bass. For me I own 11 basses now and just ordered a new MB 4003. I already have a MG 4003 I just got a month ago. I love it so much I ordered another in MB. I play all my basses when I am practicing. But live I use mainly use my old JG 4001. Now I am changing to a new 4003. For me that was dramatic change. I really think that the old 4001 are a hand full for some people working with the band (sound man guitar tech). They are human and want the easy way out so they favor P & J basses. Standard sound easy to fix on the road can get parts at any music store any town. I think (beside endorcements) thats another reason some of our heros switch.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:49 am 

Sometimes you just get tired of the sound you have and look elsewhere, like the elusive chase of the "sound in your head". I know I love getting new gear because the new sounds inspire me and I come up with things because of the sounds I am getting. Maybe they are the same way.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:30 pm 

Quote:
In-ears is the way to go for medium to large preformances ... I hate plaing in bands with big amps, high stage volume, floor monitors, a bad sound man, and a loud drummer ...

Regretably, it is the wave of the future. -only makes sense. I do miss getting pounded in the back, though..nothing like moving big amt's of real 'air'. It should be a blessing, though: To compete volume-wise, the poor bassguy always had to have 4 times the amp the guitarguys did: cost, weight, hernias, etc. It's apparently dinosaur stuff, but I miss it in much the same way I miss the late 60's muscle-cars (12mpg/horrible brakes/primitive handling/etc.).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Just Basses