Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: what other basses do you own?
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:15 am 

Rick 4003 '95 fireglo stock(yeah finally got one!!!)
Ibanez musician mc-940DS fretless early 80's stock
Squier jazz bass JV '83 modified
Cort artisan '97 stock
Micheal Kelly 5 string dragonfly '06
Fender ashbory bass

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:24 pm 

BarringtonBassist wrote:
A beautiful Guild Starfire

Ahh, Starfire...nice! With Hagström Bi-Sonic/-s maybe? I couldn't afford the real thing so I bought DeArmond version and replaced the mudbuckers with Dark Stars. It's a nice substitute but I'm still dreaming about the real thing.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:21 pm 

1979 Ric 4001/Midnight Blue
2010 Schecter Stiletto Elite 5-string/See-Thru-Red
Austin (Picked up at a garage sale last summer. Even though it is a cheap bass, it has proved to be not a bad bass-good bass to practice slapping.)
My favorite? The Ric (naturally)
All basses are lefties.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:58 pm 

Well, let's see-

I have 12 so far (not counting guitars, banjoes, and mandolins); all are leftys (I'm terminally left-handed) or they will be when I'm finished, and all are 4 stringed. In no particular order, they are:

-1978 Fender P-Bass. 2 color Burst, all original. Got it from the original owner in '88; my first bass. Jack of All Sounds.

-1994 Alembic Epic. My only active bass; off of E-Bay, pretty used but VERY well cared for. A Jazz/Fusion machine; if Rickenbacker is a Rolls, this is a Bentley.

-2005 Carvin LB-20. Another E-Bay baby; the original owner had it made, and never played it! Beautiful Lexus Pearl white ( no longer available); with the right strings it sounds a lot like my Rick, but without the sustain.

-19 ? Gretsch Broadcaster. Have no idea of the age- Gretsch hasn't made a lefty Broadcaster in roughly forever. E-Bay again; found in the back room of a defunct music store. I'm the first owner; TV Jones Thunder Tron P/Us are in the future for this Rockabilly/ Country baby.

-1990-something Danelectro DC-59. Have 2; the really nice one (and it is, for a 2nd Gen. Dano) stays as-is. The other one will get new controls, a Green Burst paint job, and have it's little frets removed. Can't play Surf/ Garage Punk without a Dano. Fretless, Dano's sound remarkably like a stand-up Bass (I think).

-1979 Kramer 450B. Got this neck-heavy tone monster from the original owner, who played it on the road for 27 years. Except for fret wear, you can't tell. the aluminium neck sustains FOREVER, and bassy as hell; like my Rick at the bottom of a deep, deep well. My Funk/Mo-Town machine.

-2011 Eastwood Magnum. I really wanted an original Ovation Magnum, but- they never made a lefty. This one, though, is well made and pretty nice. Once I find the right strings, it'll sound nice, too; the D'Addarios it came with don't make me smile.

-1971 Epiphone EA-260. Got this from a friend and original owner. It's a righty - for the moment. It's scheduled for conversion to lefty, a new long scale neck, and the P/Us currently in my Gretsch. If I can't have a lefty White Falcon bass, I'll make my own.

-1990s Rogue VB-100. This is a Korean-made one, and the wood in this thing would make a Hofner owner cry; it's gorgeous. The electronics are - well, Korean - but everything works, and it sounds like a Beatle Bass should. I currently play this more than anything else; I had serious arm/shoulder surgery this February -left arm, of course!- and it hurts the least to play.

2000-something Starfire Violin Bass. Yeah, it's cheap; yeah, it's funky; but it doesn't sound TOO bad, and it's my how-to-do-whatever guinea pig. And in spite of all my messin' with it, it still plays.

Those are my other Basses. My Rickenbacker? It's a 2001 Desert Gold 4003. Got it off E-Bay from the original owner, who took the bridge P/U cover off (and lost it!) and never/ hardly played it. The Tech at the Rickenbacker dealer here seems to think I have the only one made; I really hope not. I bought it to PLAY, not sit and gloat over it. All my other basses are nice; some of them are great; but there's nothing like a Rick.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm 

1964 Gibson Firebird II Sunburst
1967 Gibson EB-2 Sunburst
1970 Rickenbacker model 4001 Maple-glo
1974 Fender Precision Sunburst

I love 'em all ! All are original except for a new set of truss rods in the Rickenbacker

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:45 pm 

Update to my "Other Bass" list:

-Kramer 'The Duke' headless bass. Made prior to 1985 (when they were dropped); aluminum neck, & a righty - but not for long. Going to put the neck onto a custom lefty Mandolin-by-Mosrite looking body.
- My second Rickenbacker! 1974 JetGlo 4001; should be here by next Monday, good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise. Am looking forward to dealing with all the old 4001's idiosyncracies.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:13 pm 

chris51 wrote:
Update to my "Other Bass" list:

-Kramer 'The Duke' headless bass. Made prior to 1985 (when they were dropped); aluminum neck, & a righty - but not for long. Going to put the neck onto a custom lefty Mandolin-by-Mosrite looking body.
- My second Rickenbacker! 1974 JetGlo 4001; should be here by next Monday, good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise. Am looking forward to dealing with all the old 4001's idiosyncracies.

Oh! So that was what you grabbed, when I was taking my 'nana nap'!
Hope it turns up all safe'n'sound.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:04 pm 

I am a relatively new Ric owner (since last year)

before then I played Kubicki basses exclusively

1990 Ex-Factor custom shop
1990 fretless Ex-Factor
1992 Ex-Factor
2002 Ex-Factor custom finish

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:43 pm 

SloRider - question for you, just out of curiosity. With all the active basses, why did you decide to get a passive one? I went on the Kubicki website after I read your post - those things are very, very nice! Didn't see a word about any lefties, though, but that's the story of my life.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:14 pm 

1982 rickenbacker 4003sb, fender p bass 1972, fender jazz bass 1974,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Board index » Just Basses