Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Double-necks
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:11 am 

I know that Rickenbacker sold double-neck bass/6 string guitars, and they don't make them anymore. I'm not going to ask if they'll make them again, because who knows. But I will ask:
How much did they go for back then?
Were they more trouble than they were worth?
and
How much are they going for nowadays?

Thanks.
-Dylan

Post subject: Re: Double-necks
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:17 am 

Generally speaking you're talking about the 4080 and 4080-12 guitars. I'm sure there are plenty of people in this forum who are lucky enough to have one. I believe they were manufactured between 1975 and 1982. The 12 stringers are more rare.

I don't think many more than just a couple hundred were made. You tend to see them on ebay or other sites going for about $4000 for a normal used one and $5000 for one in very nice quality.

They were very cool for progressive long tunes where one needed a quick change between guitar and bass. Rush and Genesis come to mind.

I don't know what their original sales price was. From what I understand, the biggest complaint about them was they were heavy, around 15 to 16 pounds. Apparently some backs would get worn out if they played too many songs with them.

Me? I'd LOVE one.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:07 pm 

In 1980, the retail price of a Rickenbacker 4080 (bass and 6 string) was listed at $1565.

In 1990, the retail price of the 4080 was $2639.

These prices were the "Suggested Retail Prices" as indicated on the Rickenbacker Retail Price Lists.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:19 am 

Cool. Too bad they were so heavy, though.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:19 am 

You're correct, don't ask if they will be produced again (unless you want to annoy Mr. Hall).

The last one I saw on ebay just last month went for $7800 US!
That's actually OVER the high margin price wise, though it was in perfect condition it was only a JG 4080 (6 string guitar). Nothing at all rare as far as double necks go.
A forum member statd that he paid $1750 shipped to Alaska for his 4080/12 back in 1977 (if I remember correctly).
The 12 string ones are considerably more rare than the 6's, so they command a higher price. The average price is usually in the $4000 range.

A slow selling time on ebay might net you a deal if you're lucky (and the other collectors have been busy buying other things).
The weight was reportedly around 14 lbs, but I haven't bothered to weigh mine (1979 JG in very good condition), which I got at a decent bargain at $3362 last year, but prices for all Ricks seem to be climbing.

By the way, they sound flippin' awesome! It's the best sounding bass I've ever played & the neck is thin & a little bit narrower than my other basses (4000 & 4001).
All in all, worth every penny!
Weight tolerance is a relative thing. It bothers some more than others.
I've actually used mine for a full 4 hour gig (break times not included, of course), and always use it for at least one whole set (40-60 minutes).

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:13 am 

Bender...you ARE a madman!And if I sound jealous,it's only because I am.I've watched them on eBay,but never had the nerve to bid on a 4080.Sounds like you got a deal!I've never seen one sell that low.I guess I'll have to sell off some of my Brand "F" and Brand "G" guitars,and keep an eye on eBay...

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:17 pm 

I play guitar as well as bass. Some time ago a music store that I was doing business with was kind enough to allow me to "try before I buy" an Epiphone doubleneck 6/12.

Although I thought it was the coolest thing ever, there were some serious drawbacks.

Before you play, there are 18 strings to tune. That takes some time.

Then there is the weight. After a song or two, my neck and shoulder were feeling it.

Then there is the balance. That thing was extremely neck heavy. As a matter of fact if I held it up the left strap button it would almost balance right there. I even considered running both ends of the strap to that button.

I had that guitar for about two weeks and then decided the price was two high for that amount of cool.

I'd love to try out a RIC 4080, maybe those balance better.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:37 pm 

I always wanted a Double neck Bass.Maybe someday.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:01 pm 

Yeah, I got a decent deal, but there have been better deals before. It just depends on how the market goes & lately things are going for more money. The guy I got it from (second owner) said that he paid $750 for it in the mid 1980's. The seller (original owner) was hard up for cash & the market just wasnt there at the time.
I was surprised that the wife let me get it, and also that it didn't go higher, but I've wanted one for more than 20 years so I took out a loan & bought the thing.
I figured I'll probably never get another opportunity.
It was meant to be played & that's what I'm gonna do, & it sounds too good not to use it.
Dave P's the big time doubleneck collector on both forums, and he plays his regularly also. He's got quite a collection going.

Board index » Just Basses