Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: 4003 Machine heads
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:05 am 

hi, i own a ´82 4003 in nice blue. the tuners are worn and i want to buy 4 new ones, but they are not available here in germany. this (old) type has a smaller diameter of the shaft than the new ones, it´s a schaller type.
Does someone have used ones or knows where to get them?

regards
thorsten

Post subject: Re: 4003 Machine heads
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:06 am 

Have you looked at the Boutique/Keywinds page on this site ? ? ?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:36 am 

Quote:
Have you looked at the Boutique/Keywinds page on this site ? ? ?

It sounds like he's already figured out that our current keywinds won't help him.

Being that he is in Germany, unfortunately, our boutique section wouldn't do him much good anyhow. We only take internet orders from users in North America (excluding Hawaii and Alaska) -although customers in these states CAN order via phone.

Unfortunately, as I'm just the webmaster, I'm not sure where the original poster can find the older keywinds he/she is looking for. Perhaps our sales Rep Kenny might have a suggestion..... but then again.... maybe not.....

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:56 am 

Sorry Mr. Webmaster, How bout . . . www.grotro.com . . . to see if they actually are Grovers. It's worth a click to see . . .

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:06 am 

hi, thanks for reply. the grovers have bigger drillholes, they don´t fit. must be schaller types BMC with 9.5mm shaft. no more available. so my 4003 has to stay in the studio forever...

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
this (old) type has a smaller diameter of the shaft than the new ones, it´s a schaller type.
If your bass has smaller holes to fit the smaller keys, I guess I don't understand why you don't ream the holes a bit to use the larger modern shafts, unless, of course, you have some concern for vintage accuracy. But if that's the case, you're in the same situation with any number of other vintage type parts which are no longer available.

Do you really need all 4 keys and/or all the parts? I may have a few spare components that could be changed from old units that had defective chrome, for instance, but you'd need to contact me directly by e-mail and also supply some photos so there's no question what you need.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:55 am 

Mr Hall - your reply above is what makes Rickenbacker so special. Offering to help a Rick enthusiast, on what is almost the other side of the world, with some obsolete parts you have lying around....BECAUSE YOU CARE. I dont know if you were able to help the guy or even if he made any contact with you, but as the old saying goes "its the thought that counts".
Sir, you are a star....but us players knew that anyway!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:46 am 

Mr Hall

That is why we are loyal Rick customers. You are running a huge company and still find time in your day to help customers out. Awesome President of the greatest gutar comapny in the world. Thanks

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:02 am 

Quote:
Mr Hall

Awesome President of the greatest gutar comapny in the world.
That would be Cindalee Hall!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:57 am 

The way these tuners/twistknobs usually fail is things like pop-rivets that hold the front and back of the tuner assembly together. There is a stud that extends out of the back cover through holes in the front cover. The ends of the studs were mushroomed with a punch during assembly. Every time the tuner gets banged these little studs take the shock. Sooner or later they will fail. I've got a '74 4001 bass on my bench where one has failed and one other is getting loose. The failed one has a somewhat chewed up gear from the increased play as it loosened up over the years. That's tolerable - a 30 year old bass with original parts just isn't going to have the tuning stability of a new one.

It's a sealed unit that can't be taken apart and put back together again. At least not without some epoxy or creative welding. Despite John Hall's generous offer only an entire intact unit is a solution. That said, if he has one kicking around, that's all I really need for this project!

The Gover slimlines do show up on ebay from time to time, as people have said. Hard to find, since the sellers often don't know that they are (stuff from the junk drawer). There is a Gotoh that has the smaller shaft, but it won't look original even at a glance. Or you can drill out the head and install the newer ones.

If I can't find an original Grover Slimline soon (this thing has been sitting around too long) I think I will try a third option. I think some very careful application of an epoxy would seal the unit back together without gummming up the gears. It doesn't take a lot of stress during normal operation, though if it gets bumped hard it would probably come aprat again.

Board index » Just Basses