Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Screws in back of Keywinds
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:17 am 

Hi all,

Just purchased a 1980 4001 and couldn't be happier. I actually gave up the bass a few years ago due to hand problems (numbness and pain caused by stretching pinky). The problem has lessened since playing guitar, but still very few basses are comfortable for me. Right place right time allowed me to play this Ric (never played one before); never knew a bass could be this smooth, low and playable. Happy bassist once again.

Here is my question which is still unanswered after reading all 80 pages of posts:

I have the open-backed tuners and three are missing the large screw that goes from the rear of the headstock into the tuning peg. Does anyone know the size and thread of this screw?

I do not want to replace tuners as bass is completely stock and only needs 3 screws. Also don't want to mess with anything because it is set up perfectly and tuners work great without screws, but it seems like I should fill the empty holes. Don't want to pull out 4th screw to check size 'cause I'm sure that's when all heck will break loose.

Post subject: Re: Screws in back of Keywinds
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:35 am 

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I don't know the size of that screw, but unless I'm mistaken, they're the same as the new ones, and therefore you can order them or get them from any authorized Rick dealer. I had to replace one on my 77 4001.

As for the hand pain, yes, the ol' 4001s are easy on painful hands, I know, because I get it too. I take glucosamine and a tendon builder for mine (as well as my other worn-out body parts). Just saying, there are solutions. But you've taken the proper first step already - buying a Rick!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:57 am 

Thanks for the welcome, I started taking glucosamine myself a few years ago, so maybe it helped provide my limited recovery.

I actually called Rickenbacker directly and asked about the screw, but they said they get the tuners complete from another source and don't know the screw size. I beleive they're Schallers, but their website lists only contact info in Germany.

I just hoped maybe someone had an extra set lying around and could measure/identify the screw.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:52 am 

Since no one is stepping in with info, consider taking out the one screw you have and getting stainless steel screws like it.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:24 am 

Or take your bass to a hardware store. Stainless steel screws would be fine.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's hard to say which key to have exactly but in any case, these are standard machine screws. One type is metric, the other English (or I guess more properly these days, American).

I wouldn't be afraid at all to take the other screw out and visit the stainless steel machine screw drawers down at the hardware store for a match. Should be easy to find and cheap.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:25 am 

Thanks for the advice everybody. I was afraid to take out the remaining screw, but based on your input and that of a trusted repairman, I will take out the screw soon and update with the type when I find it for others who may have the same problem.

Once again thank you to everyone. This is a wonderful resource with caring people all the way up to the top.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:57 am 

nevermind

Board index » Just Basses