Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: WooHoo!!!!
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:43 am 

Bought a 4003 FG new in 1987. Somewhere around 1989 I stupidly sold it to a music store for about $400 so I could put down a payment on a motorcycle. Now I have neither the bass or the bike.

Until........

Today, just ordered my new 4003 JG. It shall never willingly leave my clutches! Never again will I make the same ridiculous mistake of my mis-spent youth.

Life is again good.

Post subject: Re: WooHoo!!!!
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:55 am 

Hi QweziRider, welcome to the forum. I did virtually the same thing. My new one arrived last month and you won't believe how good it will feel to get that perfect shape hanging around your neck again. And then the sound!!! I share your WooHoo's

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:13 pm 

How many of us had Rics in our hands when we were young and let them go for something stupid?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:25 am 

This will really be my third Ric. I know this corner is a bass forum, but about a year and a half ago I had a Peavey Start copy of some sort on layaway at my broker (because he keeps me broker than hell). I was in there making the last of my hard earned payments, signing the sales slip, and already had the case in front of me.

Then I screwed up and looked up at the wall behind the register for the first time that day.

A beautiful 340/12 FG.

The store owner grinned. I said some kind of explitive follwed by "don't do that to me!" He grinned more. He took it down and said "here, try it on for size!" Like Grandma's Oatmeal Cookies.

Legend had it from the store owner that the original owner of said used 340/12 bought it new and put it under his bed for the previous five years. Whether or not that was true, the guitar had not a scratch one or ding on it. And it was going for a used price, not new. It had been hanging on the wall only two days.

Needless to say, my long awaited layaway Peavey never saw the light of day outside the store. It suddenly became a trade in. Another Ric to never leave my hands willingly.

Word had it on a subsequent trip to my broker that someone who had looked at it just before me and said he may come back after it in a while. He apparently did return an hour after I left.

Don't let 'em go and don't pass 'em up if at all possible! :-)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:58 am 

Im supposed to get my new 4003MG tomorrow. WooHoo! I too have let Rickenbackers go in the past. A '77 4003 JG was gladly taken in as a trade in at a local music store on something (cant even remember now what it was) in '95. Man, do I ever regret that stupid move. In 2000 I bought a 1981 4003MG from a friend, but had to let it go too. I hereby pledge to never let one go again.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:12 am 

It's here! Ahhhhhhhhhh.

I need a cigarette now. :-)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:27 am 

Ahhh,
Regrets. I sold my 76 4001MG to a 'friend' around 1980. He immediately routed out the neck pup and installed a Dimarzio pup. Well, it sounded crappy. I wish I kept that 4001...had an overabundance of birds eye on the body. I'll never part with another of my Ricks again.

Board index » Just Basses