Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Sparks Bass man Martin Gordon...
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:08 am 

Hi folks...Does any one here on the forum knows what kind of amp etc set up Mr Gordon used on such a classic album like Kimono My House?...I think his 4001 sounds awesome on this album,and the bassline is very well written and played IMO...to me it sounds like he is playing through a Marshall or Hi Watt tube head and have rotosounds roundwound stainless steels on the bass....played whit a pick of course.
Best Frank.

Post subject: Re: Sparks Bass man Martin Gordon...
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:25 pm 

Quote:
Hi folks...Does any one here on the forum knows what kind of amp etc set up Mr Gordon used on such a classic album like Kimono My House?...I think his 4001 sounds awesome on this album,and the bassline is very well written and played IMO...to me it sounds like he is playing through a Marshall or Hi Watt tube head and have rotosounds roundwound stainless steels on the bass....played whit a pick of course.
Best Frank.

I got a pretty good version of the sound using a POD 2.0 at the "overdrive" setting. This was with an 08 4003 with factory-fit strings. Got similar results whether or not I used the vintage tone switch.

Loved that tone on the Sparks album, but if you want to hear it properly, you should play it from vinyl on an old mono record player with a tiny speaker. For some reason, the tone doesn't sound half as good on a CD...:-)

Regards,

djp

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:26 pm 

Wow, a great album, and that was one more reason why I knew I had to play a Rick when I started playing bass.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:14 am 

Classic Sparks fans, whodathunkit.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:51 am 

Because of this thread I'm going to download something I would never normally listen to in a million years. I'll give it a shot, and if I like it, I'm gonna go buy the album fer realz. Thanks, gang!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:05 am 

Sparks?! Oh, I'm showing my age: the last time I saw Sparks was when as a young teenager I waited for my folks to go to sleep on a Saturday night then snuck into the family room to turn on Don Kirschner's Rock Concert about 1:00 or 2:00 am and sit as close to the TV as possible so I could keep the volume down as to not wake them.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:09 am 

This is what I posted back in June 2006:

Martin was nice enough to recently run through some equipment info for me from "Kimono". I don't think he'd mind me doing a short, general summary. He really did nothing fancy, using lighter gauge Rotosound roundwounds, a plectrum (pick for us Yanks), and mono output - no Rick-O-Sound. His 4001 was stock, no mods or pickup replacements.
Here's that album cover art link again:
http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/S/ ... imono.html

You can hear that clarity & pure tone on "Kimono...". I listened to the opening of "Barbicutie" again on the "Kimono My House" CD while driving home from work today - then backed it up to the start of the track, then backed it up to the start of the track... Gosh I love that sound!

I thought it was interesting that "This Town Ain't Big Enough for the Both of Us" (also from Kimono) is one of Dave Gregory's favorite "top 10" songs. I'd started another thread about "XTC and Ric 12 String" in the guitar forum I think as I've always loved the Ric 12 string sound (and playing) on "Senses Working Overtime" and other XTC stuff. Dave has a great website with his complete guitar collection - and favorite pop releases.

--------

Martin was one of my main Ric influences other than Paul McCartney and Chris Squire. Do a "Search Forums" and you'll find a few more things.

To add to the above, I believe he used an H&H Combo for an amp during the sessions. He was quite young when he did that Sparks record. I still love listening to opening of "Barbicutie" - loud.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:16 pm 

Thanks a lot for your answers here Rickboy88...Nice man Mr Gordon to take some time to answers questions like these ones,his sound and playing on Kimono my house is IMO On my top 5 alltime best Rickenbacker bass sound list ever...Hmm Rotos?...thats what I fought...I shall try a light gauge on my 4003...I often use 40-100 rotos swing...but when you say light gauge I´ll guess you dont mean those superlight ones like funkmaster or so who is like 035-095 or?
Anyway Rotos and pick...yummy..thats my style.

Best regards Frank.

Quote:
This is what I posted back in June 2006:

Martin was nice enough to recently run through some equipment info for me from "Kimono". I don't think he'd mind me doing a short, general summary. He really did nothing fancy, using lighter gauge Rotosound roundwounds, a plectrum (pick for us Yanks), and mono output - no Rick-O-Sound. His 4001 was stock, no mods or pickup replacements.
Here's that album cover art link again:
http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/S/ ... imono.html

You can hear that clarity & pure tone on "Kimono...". I listened to the opening of "Barbicutie" again on the "Kimono My House" CD while driving home from work today - then backed it up to the start of the track, then backed it up to the start of the track... Gosh I love that sound!

I thought it was interesting that "This Town Ain't Big Enough for the Both of Us" (also from Kimono) is one of Dave Gregory's favorite "top 10" songs. I'd started another thread about "XTC and Ric 12 String" in the guitar forum I think as I've always loved the Ric 12 string sound (and playing) on "Senses Working Overtime" and other XTC stuff. Dave has a great website with his complete guitar collection - and favorite pop releases.

--------

Martin was one of my main Ric influences other than Paul McCartney and Chris Squire. Do a "Search Forums" and you'll find a few more things.

To add to the above, I believe he used an H&H Combo for an amp during the sessions. He was quite young when he did that Sparks record. I still love listening to opening of "Barbicutie" - loud.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:08 am 

No problem Frank. Martin emailed that he was one gauge lighter than standard with his Rotosound strings.

As others have commented in other threads, the sound is best when they are brand new (hours old). A lot of the Rotosound roundwound players would play concerts and record with new strings.

Board index » Just Basses