Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: Rick-O-Jack
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:30 am 

I took bassplayer2's advise and ordered the RICK-O-SOUND kit from this site. I thank you all for your help.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:34 am 

Buckelt

Good choice and good luck ! If you have any questions we are her to help.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:03 am 

Another question concerning the rick-o-sound kit:

Is it possible to plug an effect into the signal before the rick-o-sound box?

For instance, if i want to go from my 4003 into a compressor pedal, then into the rick-o-sound and separate effects/amps from there.

And if it is possible, must i use two stereo cables (1 from bass to comp, another from comp to rick-o-sound)? I feel like this would be the case.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:03 am 

I suppose you could do that but it would be very, very cumbersome; and for what purpose? By doing that you would be separating the stereo signal, inserting individual FX on each signal and then re-combining the signal only to have it separated again. The re-combination is a totally unnecessary step.

Since it appears that you want to tweak each signal separately, why not just insert the FX after the Rick-O-Sound split and then plug each signal into your amp? If you are only using one input channel on a single amp you will then need to recombine the split signal by using a small mixer to mix down the stereo signal back to mono.

In any case, if you want to compress both separated signals, you need two compressor pedals, or one stereo pedal, or better yet, use a rack mounted stereo compressor.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:19 am 

Quote:
Another question concerning the rick-o-sound kit:

Is it possible to plug an effect into the signal before the rick-o-sound box?

For instance, if i want to go from my 4003 into a compressor pedal, then into the rick-o-sound and separate effects/amps from there.

And if it is possible, must i use two stereo cables (1 from bass to comp, another from comp to rick-o-sound)? I feel like this would be the case.

Any help would be appreciated.

You would have to use two compressors, or one stereo compressor, one for each pickup, and that would have to be after the ROS. If you run into one mono compressor, it would have to be from the standard (mono) jack, and then you cant have the stereo outputs (ROS).

You don't use two stereo cables, just one from the ROS jack. You can't use the mono and stereo jacks at the same time.

So what you need is a stereo Y cable with two mono jacks, or the ROS kit, and from there run into a stereo compressor (or two mono units) and take those outputs and run them to separate effects/amps.

Back when I ran my 4001 in stereo, I also used a stereo 10 band EQ. :)

[edit] (Rick-O-Matic... I realized I said more-or-less the same thing as you, but not until after I posted this!)

Board index » Just Basses