Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Ampeg SVT vs Ashdown
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:40 pm 

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but here it goes...

I was at a Guitar Center Monday playing around on a 100 watt svt head through an 8x10 cab. I tried several different basses through it including a Geddy Lee Jazz and a Stringray. Frankly, my Ashdhown with 6x10's comes very close to sounding like that ampeg did. Granted, my ashdown is 300watts compared to the 100watt svt, but the sound was vary similar. The one major difference was that when cranked up near 10 the ampeg still sounded good. My Ashdown cranked up to that kind of level would be "farting out" and making very ugly sounds. But my Ashdown on 4 is about the same volume as the ampeg at 10. The total price of the ampeg was around $1700...my ashdown cost me $800.

Okay, let the flaming begin!

Post subject: Re: Ampeg SVT vs Ashdown
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:01 am 

You didn't try a real SVT. The SVT is all-tube, puts out 280-370 watts RMS, and is the perfect amp for a Ric bass. (Except for its weight.)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:25 am 

Hi, go try the ampeg svt classic. It is a remake of the orginal 60-70's ampeg. It has all the tubes that the orginal had. This is the only true svt. Also play it into the ampeg svt bottom which has 8-10's each speaker has its on cabinet built into the bottom. Once you play this amp with you ric, nothing else will come close. I play my rics into a hartke 3500 and 2 4-10 xl bottoms and I love the sound.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:31 am 

Quote:
Hi, go try the ampeg svt classic. It is a remake of the orginal 60-70's ampeg. It has all the tubes that the orginal had. This is the only true svt. Also play it into the ampeg svt bottom which has 8-10's each speaker has its on cabinet built into the bottom. Once you play this amp with you ric, nothing else will come close. I play my rics into a hartke 3500 and 2 4-10 xl bottoms and I love the sound.

Actually, the SVT Classic uses the same power tubes but has a slightly different array of preamp tubes. I have (2) of these heads now and had (4) of the '70s era heads. The Classic is a great amp. The 2-Pro is also terrific, basically a rackmount version of the Classic. And the SVT 810E is IMO the best bass cab ever built, but it has (4) speaker compartments with (2) 10" each rather than individual compartments for each speaker.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:41 am 

Thanks Banta for the correction. See I thought I knew it all. But your never to OLDDDDD to learn. :)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:44 am 

Quote:
You didn't try a real SVT. The SVT is all-tube, puts out 280-370 watts RMS, and is the perfect amp for a Ric bass. (Except for its weight.)

This was the V-4BH 100 watt tube head

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:51 am 

The SVT is an awesome amp. However, when it comes to cabs, my ideal is to have a mixture of 15" and 10" speakers.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:18 am 

I've never owned an SVT-quite a lot to haul around. After many different brands over the years (GK, Trace, Eden, SWR, Alembic) I've settled on the Ashdown ABMII 500 watt head with a 4 ohm 4x10. It's a lot of sound in a reasonably trasportable size. Fat and warm with a nice edge on top; couldn't be happier!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:27 am 

Quote:
I've never owned an SVT-quite a lot to haul around.
I have a Mesa 400+ and it's almost as bad as an SVT weight wise... the head is 45 pounds. It's only a 4X10 cab, but that weighs a ton too!

That's why it's been sitting unused for a few years now. My middle-aged back can't haul that stuff anymore. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:31 am 

Quote:
Quote:
I've never owned an SVT-quite a lot to haul around.
I have a Mesa 400+ and it's almost as bad as an SVT weight wise... the head is 45 pounds.
An SVT head weighs 90lbs. The 810E cab weighs 165lbs, but is much easier to move than the head.

Board index » Just Basses