Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: Ampeg SVT vs Ashdown
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:49 am 

Quote:
An SVT head weighs 90lbs. The 810E cab weighs 165lbs, but is much easier to move than the head.

My back just got a twinge in it reading that post

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:24 am 

I have a 90 pound beast(1972s SVT) nothing can come near it. I have owned it since 1978 has been highly dependable. It even fell off the back of a moving pick up truck rolled over a few times and dented the asphalt. I thought I was done had no back up amp for the gig that night. She fired up with no problems. I also play thru Marshall stack, top stack 2x12 and 2x15s at the bottom. I also play with the amp wide open and use the volume & tone controls on my rick. I think at the end of the day, its what we personally like. No choice is right or wrong, except if you dont PLAY A RICK lol.
Good luck in your choice !

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:19 am 

If you are going to compare your 300 watt Ashdown to an SVT-AV, SVT-CL or SVT-2PRO you will need to compare it to an Asdown ABM 900 EVO II or ABM 500 EVO II because the Ampeg is all tubed.

Just my 2 cents.

Ted

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:57 am 

There is nothing quite like standing in front of a SVT with 8x10's.....

They are pigs to lug around. I got rid of the fridge years ago . Now I just use a GK 400RB and fifteen to get the old school thump that I like. I fall in love with that GK every time that I pick it up. It's been running now for about twelve years and has never let me down.

I still have a good back....

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:14 am 

I tried an SVT Pro 2 awhile back in a music store. Run through Ampegs 8x10 cab with a P-bass (didn't have my Rick along at the time) and was blown away by the sound. I wanna take my Ric in to try it again but know if I did, I'd come out with a new amp AND cab!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:16 pm 

For larger venues, I use a mid-1970's Ampeg V4-B with the Ampeg Classic Series 4-10"/horn, 2/10"/horn and a 1-15" cabinets.
For smaller, coffee-house type places, I use a 1964 Vox AC-50 with the Ampeg 2-10"/horn cabinet.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:45 am 

Well, I just sold my SVT CL...not enough clean output at extreem low end...It was my third SVT all tube thru out the years...I bought the SVT 1000..1350 watts rms...eq, limit circuit for crystal clear powerfull lows...it has a tube "texture: circuit on it and does a good job of "mimicing" an all tube. It's a mosfet output stage and is very warm sounding. Tubes just distort to easily when pushed...although I understand this tone or "bite" is a prefered tone.I like the clean tone. Also, nothing like the RIC through those 8 10's. Breathtaking.

Board index » Just Basses