Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finger play or Pick that's the question...
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:48 am 

I play fingerstyle at least 90% of the time.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:40 am 

I use a pick most of the time. I use big triangular Fender picks which I have to buy 6 dozen at a time online because no music stores around here carry them. I also sometimes position my thumb and forefinger just like I'm holding a pick except with no pick. Then I use the back of my fingernail on the downstroke for a pick like attack and my fingertip on the upstroke for a softer sound. It gives a pretty neat effect.

One question for any of you thumb slappers. Do you set your action really high? Whenever I try this method on my normal low action the strings hit the frets so hard that the individual notes don't really come through.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:48 am 

I like those big fat fender picks too .. I use the derilin material 1.14 mm XH ... the smaller picks can have a harsh sound and the plastic one wear out too fast ... and I buy them in bulk and then I have enough for several years ... if you thumb slap without compression it will suck ... you gotta have a good compressor ... I use the one built into the bass pod ... I like to play finger style like Geddy and Entwistle and for that I need compression as well ... I fine the pick gives a more controlled attack and thereby less need for compression ... I find I need higher action for pick playing becuse pick playing accentuates fret buzz ...

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:51 am 

I use the Dunlop 1.5 mm picks. Sometimes I use 2.0 mm. Sometimes, when they're wearing down, I use nail clippers to make them sharp again. And they're purple. Which is awesome.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:51 am 

100% Pick Style on my Rick. Because my 4003 5-string has such a narrow Stringspacing almost like a guitar. For Fingerstyle you´ve got to have very tapered fingers on this bass.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:55 am 

yes the s5 and s8 lend themselves to picking ... I had a machinist make me a few bridges and saddles that drop into Ric tailpieces and I cut the string grooves to a 2 1/4" spacing ... this works with the s5 neck and pickups and it makes the bass easier to play fingerstyle ... once I modify my s5 I can thumb slap on it ...

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:32 pm 

I was a 100%-pick player, but I began to play fingerstyle where it's possible some years ago. The problem is that I need a lot of practice to play as clean as I could with a pick. With a pick I've developed a kind of own style, in fingerstyle I'm glad if I manage to do what a bassman has to do.
I love the change of power and pressing in the sound of the bass that happens when I change from fingerstyle to pick. So I also play a solid finger line to illuminate the following pick-style-song.

My pick is rather soft. Do you pickplayers all play with hard picks?

Rick

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:57 pm 

I agree with the opinion that picks just seem to go together well with Rics! I use the black nylon Dunlops (1mm).

Of all the basses I play on a regular basis, my C64S just pops when played with a pick. When playing it, I'll end up using a pick 90% of the time.

The rest (Fe**er, Ya**ha, Mu**c M**) tend to get finger-style'd about 75 to 80% of the time.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:08 pm 

I tend to vary between medium to hard depending on my form and the song I'm playing..

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:21 pm 

I use a pick and have done for the past 18 years after seeing a picture of chris squire i thought that,was the way to play.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Just Basses