Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finger play or Pick that's the question...
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:31 pm 

100% finger style. I tried using a pick, and I understand why people do, for the sound, but I just couldn't get going at all. I think I have to feel the string. I don't feel like I'm in control with a pick.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:19 pm 

For my 4005, I can effortlessly switch between fingers and pick playing and it sounds just as good both ways. My 4003 on the other hand prefers a pick. (It's about an 80/20% thing.)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:49 pm 

Pick most of the time- Dunlop .73's. I play in a hard rock band so a pick just works better for the music IMHO. When I played in a blues band I played mostly fingerstyle.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:34 pm 

I started back in 1974 using only a pick, I tried to use fingers but it was hard to play all the Geddy Lee and Chris Squire lines without using a pick, I started once again trying to use my fingers about 3 years ago because the songs my band was playing needed a little warmer sound. I like being able to do both and think it makes me more rounded as a player, but to me nothing is more comfortable than using a Herco Flex 75

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:44 pm 

Currently about 60/40, mostly fingers but working in a pick alot more lately. I guess I'm coming up with more conducive basslines... for the longest time nothing I did felt right with a pick.

I also use Dunlop .73's... I tried Dunlop .96 and they felt too stiff, I just think I have a little more dynamic control with a lighter one.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:52 pm 

Quote:
Currently about 60/40, mostly fingers but working in a pick alot more lately. I guess I'm coming up with more conducive basslines... for the longest time nothing I did felt right with a pick.

I also use Dunlop .73's... I tried Dunlop .96 and they felt too stiff, I just think I have a little more dynamic control with a lighter one.

I use only the .60 (orange) Tortex. You get the bite while still being able to drive through the strings, which allows more "feel" with the pick.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:11 pm 

When I do use a pick, I use the green tortex from Dunlop or D'Addario.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:05 pm 

It seems I use the thickest picks on here.

Anything lighter than about 1 mm feels floppy to me, and for me, it's easier to tremelo pick (is that what it's called) with a really thick pick. I also like how mean it makes the bass sound. I only use my fingers when playing slap style or playing something soft (the latter is also the only time I use the neck pickup).

Different strokes for different folks.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:59 pm 

I'm with Chuck. I've been using a 3 finger technique for 29 years and when I try to use picks I just don't get the feeling , or soul, into my sound

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:47 pm 

Quote:
It seems I use the thickest picks on here.

I use 2 mm Clayton picks. :)

Quote:
Anything lighter than about 1 mm feels floppy to me, and for me, it's easier to tremelo pick (is that what it's called) with a really thick pick. I also like how mean it makes the bass sound. I only use my fingers when playing slap style or playing something soft (the latter is also the only time I use the neck pickup).

Different strokes for different folks.

Yes that is tremolo. Most people confuse that with vibrato, since somehow the vibrato tailpieces have become known as tremolo tailpieces.

For proper technique, your pick should not flex at all. It's all in the wrist.

I started out playing with my fingers, and then after I got my 4001 in '73 I switched to using a pick, to get that bright Squire tone. I played almost exclusively with a pick, except for slapping, until about 1991 when I bought a 5-string and switched to playing with my fingers. I've been playing with my fingers ever since, but recently I play with a pick every now and then.

I do also play guitar, and always use the same 2 mm pick.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Just Basses