Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Chris Squire 4001cs limited edition
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:37 am 

Has anyone seen the 4001 on eBay that was signed by Squire? OK. There must be something wrong with my brain. As much as I respect Squire's ability, and love his bass lines, I wouldn't let him or anyone else write on my Ric. I suppose that if my intention was to sell it, and I thought that the signature of one of rock's greats would increase the value, then sign away. I do my best to keep my basses clean, ding free, and highly polished. To me, any writing, including the signature of anyone, would ruin the appearance of my axe.

So what do you players think? Who is going to write on your Ric?

Post subject: Re: Chris Squire 4001cs limited edition
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:58 am 

Quote:
Has anyone seen the 4001 on eBay that was signed by Squire?

With the Chris Squire autograph on this Rickenbacker bass, it's not only a "Limited Edition" but truly a "Signature Edition" that would be very desirable for fans of Chris and Yes.

Here's another famous Rickenbacker "Signature Model."

http://www.rickresource.com/rrp/raritiesbeatle.html

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:54 am 

Personally, if I met Chris, I would love to talk with him in the interest of his music, technique, and equipment. I'll bet he has some great stories. But, I have always found the act of asking someone for his autograph to be a rather pitiful act of submission. I would not want to have it anymore than he should want to have mine! What am I going to do with it? Look at it? Now, should he want to sign his bass and give it to me..........

ps. I don't know how many of you are in bands that have "followings," but, while it is nice to be appreciated and to have the folks there to count on, it is rather weird to see the same people week after week following you around from gig to gig. I would be embarassed to ask ANYONE for an autograph. That is just me!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:17 am 

Slightly off-topic, but there was a 4001CS at a local GC, (listed @ $4500), that someone actually stole right out of the store. I guess it was shoved down the thief's pant leg, under a loose fitting hoodie. I wasn't going to buy it, but now I can't even visit it. I hate a thief.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:29 am 

Quote:
Personally, if I met Chris, I would love to talk with him in the interest of his music, technique, and equipment. I'll bet he has some great stories. But, I have always found the act of asking someone for his autograph to be a rather pitiful act of submission. I would not want to have it anymore than he should want to have mine! What am I going to do with it? Look at it? Now, should he want to sign his bass and give it to me..........
Right on brother. I wasn't picking on Chris. If I had to name one player whom I admire the most, it would be Squire. (or maybe Martin Turner from Wishbone Ash) My thought was this. I look at my beautiful 4003, and then try to picture it after someone (anyone) writes on it with a sharpie.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:48 am 

Right now the only bass I own is a 4001cs. The signature is on their and it can never be wiped away. However if Squire or some other great signed it with a sharpie I would probably put it in a display case for a few years then probably shop it around and see how much I would get!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:54 pm 

How do these vary in sound from a standard 4001/03? They certainly look very nice!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:19 am 

I wouldn't let anyone sign my lefty 4001CS but, when we opened for Herman's Hermits a while back I did ask Peter "Herman" Noone to sign my Epiphone Rivoli.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:18 am 

I've seen the 4001CS on Ebay that's been autographed on the upper horn. It looks like A**! I had Chris sign my 4008CS on the guard where a signature would actually go. I made a replacement for it and then framed it along with pics of myself and Chris. He actually thought the bass was "quite nice" and I didn't feel I was imposing on him at all.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:33 pm 

I wouldn't mind having a signed bass, but I'd prefer it on the pickguard. That's where signatures go. I don't know why I think that, it just seems more neat and tidy if they're there.

Board index » Just Basses