Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: Chris Squire 4001cs limited edition
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:23 pm 

I did some research into signed basses a bit ago and found that the"experts" generally don't see to much of a price increase, if any, when an instrument is signed by a living musician. It all depends on who signed it and who is buying it though. I concur on never letting someone sign my Ric. I have a beat up old Squire P-bass covered in stickers and crap that was my first bass. It has been signed by several muciscians and thats why I keep it. Sentimental and special enough that it rates signatures from my music idols, but it'll never be worth squat to anyone else, so I don't worry about the actual value.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:53 am 

I think the back of the headpiece is acceptable for autographs.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:01 am 

I'd probably bring my 4003 and a Dremel tool to a Motörhead gig and ask Lemmy to sign the tailpiece...

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:59 am 

Quote:
Has anyone seen the 4001 on eBay that was signed by Squire? OK. There must be something wrong with my brain. As much as I respect Squire's ability, and love his bass lines, I wouldn't let him or anyone else write on my Ric. I suppose that if my intention was to sell it, and I thought that the signature of one of rock's greats would increase the value, then sign away. I do my best to keep my basses clean, ding free, and highly polished. To me, any writing, including the signature of anyone, would ruin the appearance of my axe.

So what do you players think? Who is going to write on your Ric?

I don't want a sharpie autograph on any of my basses.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:10 am 

I had replaced my original (slightly cracked) pick guard on my 4001 with a black one. I didn't like it that much... so when I had the awesome chance to meet Rush in 1998, I asked Geddy and Alex to sign the pick guard with a silver pen (Neil stayed in the trailer).
It was cool to meet them and say a few words, but yeah the signatures just sit there. My bass is still sounding great with the white pick guard on.

I still love Rush though.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:28 pm 

I did get Chris to sign mine, on the pickguard (now covered by clear plastic). I have no intention of ever selling it.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:07 am 

are the chris squire 4001cs basses really much better in terms of sound,neck
shape tone than a regular 4003 bass?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:11 am 

george lange wrote:
are the chris squire 4001cs basses really much better in terms of sound,neck
shape tone than a regular 4003 bass?

That determination is yours alone to make. As with any bass.

I have played a handful of 4001C64 and C64S basses, gobs of 4003s, and half dozen 4004s too. I would be hard pressed to say any one model stands above the rest for me. Instead I notice with equal frequency that certain instruments just have "it", and others don't speak to me the same way, and it's almost entirely about subtle details of the feel of the neck... not the pickups, binding, finish, inlays, bridge, etc. For me the classic 4003 is probably the most familiar, but I'd be happy with any of them if the feel was right. The final tone you get can be engineered to just about whatever you like but the feel is something you are married to forever with the instrument.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:26 am 

I had a lefty CS and still have a lefty 4001v63. I wanted one for roundwounds and one for flatwounds. Did of lot of string changing, and comparison in my recording studio. Sonically, I found little to choose between the two with the same kind of strings. Sold the lefty CS, one of only four lefties apparently, to a Yes collector. Kept the V63.

Also have a 4003. The pickups are different, and the horseshoe bridge pickup and the toaster win it for me. However if you want that honky two pickup RIC sound, a 4003 gets it very easily.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:57 pm 

Well, I guess I'm just odd. As much as I cherish my basses, I'd definitely let a few people sign them. I mean, the basses are inanimate objects. It's not like I'm giving them my wife for the evening. ;)

I'd let Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, Mars Cowling, Jaco (R.I.P) or Paul McCartney sign my 4001. I'm pretty sure I'd even let McCartney sign my 4002. It would be a memory - a keepsake. ...And, it certainly would not take away from the value when someone decides to sell it when I'm dead and gone. I've got a (shhh...don't tell anyone) Fender Jazz bass, that along with the above list, I'd add John Entwistle and Phyl Lynott sign if they were still here.

They're all just toys anyway, right?

Board index » Just Basses