Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Ric 4003 Order Status
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:34 am 

Well, after almost 20 years of procrastinating, and being somewhat cheap, I finally ordered my first 4003 JG bass from a shop here in Toronto. I've always admired the look and sound of a Ric bass, especially after growing up listening to Geddy Lee in his early years. I was told that the wait for this instrument could be anywhere from 12-18 months, depending on the order volumes. After a quick e-mail to Rickenbacker in California, I received a response back from Kenny stating that 9-12 months may be a more reasonable timeframe. Now, my question/comment is this...Is there any way to monitor the status of the order within the factory? At least you may be able to narrow your expectations down to a few months.

I've been reading this forum for a month or so and there's a ton of info here on everything Rickenbacker. I will be a regular user for sure!

thanks

Post subject: Re: Ric 4003 Order Status
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:47 am 

Good luck. I waited for a 4004cii5 for over two years and then they cancelled them.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:42 am 

I ordered mine last monday from MF and got it thursday night. I couldn't even stand waiting that long. It is so beautiful....(4003 MapleGlo)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I waited for a 4004cii5 for over two years and then they cancelled them.
The 4003 is a standard instrument already in production, doesn't have a tiny little market or a small core of whingers to make it even less attractive to devote attention to.

Our orders are placed by our direct customer, the dealer, and we have no idea whatsoever which specific order will end up with a given retail customer. We're not privy to how a dealer chooses to divvy up his incoming shipments or if he has some particular priority among his customers.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:50 am 

I ordered a 4003mg/lh/rh back in may of 2005. My dealer and Kenny of rickenbacker have been very supportive in letting me know about when i may get my bass. Ric doesnt give production dates to the general public, but Kenny and Mr. Hall both told me about 9-18 months, since mine is a special order,(right handed strings on a lefty bass). So I just sit and wait for the bass to get to Atlanta,so I can pick it up. Maybe Ric started to work on it this week since they started a lefty run, until then I wait and enjoy these forums. I also feel if I needed to talk to Kenny about my order, I can do that via e-mail, He has always anwswered back in a timely manner. :0)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:33 am 

I am told that mine is number three on the waiting list from the dealer, and that their order was placed sometime in Sept-Oct. I realize that the queue at the factory must be a mile long, so I'll just patiently wait until I get the call. Hey, I've waited this long, so another year (or less) won't kill me. :)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:10 pm 

afulop,

Is what you ordered just a normal 4003 JG?

If so, you should be able to find them all over the Internet. Look at americanmusical.com, musiciansfriend.com, zzounds.com, music123.com, [...] There are many more places that generally have this item in stock or will be in in the next month or so. I can't see waiting that long for a standard model

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:21 pm 

I ordered a 4003s5 from musicians friend back in 2002 ... but then I saw a used one on ebay so I bought that one and canceled my order ... I am just too impatient to wait for more than a few days ...

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:22 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I waited for a 4004cii5 for over two years and then they cancelled them.
The 4003 is a standard instrument already in production, doesn't have a tiny little market or a small core of whingers to make it even less attractive to devote attention to.

Our orders are placed by our direct customer, the dealer, and we have no idea whatsoever which specific order will end up with a given retail customer. We're not privy to how a dealer chooses to divvy up his incoming shipments or if he has some particular priority among his customers.

I understand this, and it's good news for those waiting for the four string basses. The 4003 is IMO the best 4-string bass ever made, and my 4003 is probably the best of the best, but the music I play calls for a five string. I am expected to play the music I'm handed, and without exception every piece includes bass below E1. When you are simply playing whatever you've written yourself, you have the freedom to write it however you like. But most paid musicians play what they are given, and 4 strings just don't cut it anymore for most of the written music I've seen.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
The 4003 is IMO the best 4-string bass ever made, and my 4003 is probably the best of the best, but the music I play calls for a five string.
We're going to get there eventually and you won't be disappointed. But as they say "first things first" and there's definitely priorities we must set. Geez, I like 5-stringers too but it's not helpful at all nor will it speed things up to grouse about where this instrument sits on the priority list.

Board index » Just Basses