Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pickguardian
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:31 pm 

Tony has done pickguards for my 330 and 660/12 and they look awesome! Fast service too!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:00 pm 

I have had three pickguardian pickguards (& plan to have more) & echo the above. Great quality, fast delivery & a great chap to deal with.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:30 am 

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:30 am 

Greetings,

Am I to assume you mean the pick-UP guard...as is, in place of the treble pickup cover that comes standard?

If that's the case, I'd have to recommend them and echo what others have said about Tony's prompt attention to the job.

I have a '99 jet-glo 4003/S5 and would be very unhappy playing that bass with the pickup guard in place. After I removed it, I was a little concerned with dirt etc. getting into the opening. Got on this forum and found some options. While it's too bad Ric couldn't see clear to make an addition many people want, Pickguardian does a nice job at it. Tony D. even made mine from a template I made for him for the 4003-5 and I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $40.

Two minor points:

1. Having removed the stock pickup cover and seen the neighborhood of the pickup itself, I'd not be all that concerned with stuff getting in there, at least under the circumstances where I play. It'd be felt pick fuzz and easily removed.

2. First damn time I showed this to a Ric fan and sometimes sit-in player with us, he said "Wow! Nice bass ...What's that?" (pointing to the pickguardian). So polish your original "surround" and pickup cover, bag them and just keep them with your bass.

Ric On.

LoZ.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:34 am 

Greetings,

Am I to assume you mean the pick-UP guard...as is, in place of the treble pickup cover that comes standard?

If that's the case, I'd have to recommend them and echo what others have said about Tony's prompt attention to the job.

I have a '99 jet-glo 4003/S5 and would be very unhappy playing that bass with the pickup guard in place. After I removed it, I was a little concerned with dirt etc. getting into the opening. Got on this forum and found some options. While it's too bad Ric couldn't see clear to make an addition many people want, Pickguardian does a nice job at it. Tony D. even made mine from a template I made for him for the 4003-5 and I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $40.

Two minor points:

1. Having removed the stock pickup cover and seen the neighborhood of the pickup itself, I'd not be all that concerned with stuff getting in there, at least under the circumstances where I play. It'd be felt pick fuzz and easily removed.

2. First damn time I showed this to a Ric fan and sometimes sit-in player with us, he said "Wow! Nice bass ...What's that?" (pointing to the pickguardian). So polish your original "surround" and pickup cover, bag them and just keep them with your bass.

Ric On.

LoZ.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:07 pm 

George,

Check out the topic started by Karen of the UK.
Alsteen posted some pictures of a conversion he did using pickguardian materials, but looks about as "stock" as it gets. It does not call attention to itself in any way, outside of the big original guard being absent.

Being that most players want to finger or pick RIGHT THE HECK where the stock guard is, they remove them in the interest of functionality.

My #1 hope would have been that Ric would find some sort of insert feasible to offer.

In lieu of that, the pickguardians do the job of protecting the bridge pickup neighborhood...but do stand out as a bit "add-on"ish.

The best solution I have seen so far is what Alsteen did.
I think I'll send Tony at pickguardian the picture Alsteen posted and see what he says. Since I already have a pickguardian, then (it's a one-shot, sink or swim deal) maybe I can work out something like he's done.

Best of Luck!
LoZ

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:45 pm 

Tony does nice work.
I have a 4003 monty brown, and Tony made a vintage gold pickguard and hand-painted my TRC the same color.
Looks fantastic on MB.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:12 am 

I got the bridge pickup surround/pickup cover thing for my 4003, and it has returned that bass to very regular rotation for me. It used to be very dicey, playing that bass with my fingers and palm muting? Forget it! Now, it's a pleasure. I am also getting Tony to outfit both my 4003 and my 4005 with the finger rests that he sells. (I've been doing a lot of old-school thumb plucking lately...)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:42 am 

I've just removed the cover on my new 4003fg. I played it for a week with it on to see if I could get used to it. I missed the palm muting. I'm really enjoying the versatility now that the guard is off. I can play back near the bridge and hook my baby finger around the mute knob or play over the treble pickup and hook my finger over the end of the chrome cover. I've ordered a mirror surround and the clear pickup guard from Pickguardian. Hopefully that will keep the chrome look but make the bass even more playable.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:55 am 

What does it look like with just the surround?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Just Basses