Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: Pickguardian
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:14 pm 

I wear my bridge pickup hole like a badge of honor.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:43 am 

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're asking lanztek? There was only one choice of thickness. The Pickguardian (base plate) comes in different colours (the mirrored one is slightly more expensive) and the pickup guard only comes in one thickness of clear plexi.

The bridge plate comes in two versions:1 and 2. I ordered version 1, and I assume that's the one you used in your photo. On the topic of your photo, I see that your new bass has the new walnut wings. Did it come with the push/pull pot as well?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:09 am 

I hope Pickguardian may ship outside the USA.

I'm still undesired about the white or the mirrored one. The mirrored preserves the chrome-look of the original cover, and the white combines with the pickguard.

Hmmmmmmmm ...

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:26 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what you're asking lanztek? There was only one choice of thickness. The Pickguardian (base plate) comes in different colours (the mirrored one is slightly more expensive) and the pickup guard only comes in one thickness of clear plexi.

The bridge plate comes in two versions:1 and 2. I ordered version 1, and I assume that's the one you used in your photo. On the topic of your photo, I see that your new bass has the new walnut wings. Did it come with the push/pull pot as well?

No push/pull I'm afraid. It was made in late August 2005 and the tone switch didn't start going into production until December 2005. No biggie for me!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:47 pm 

The two plates came in yesterday! I didn't have time to mess with them until late last night, but I was able to get them on. I should have made sure they were in the position I wanted before putting everything back together because the pup sits a little low. I have rehearsal tonight so I won't have time to take it all back apart, but I need to clip a little off the springs to allow the pup to come up a little higher.

I placed the ground wire back on the screw, but it seemed like a bit of a waste of time since the plate isn't metal

Playability: The main reason I decided to do this mod was that for years I had bridge and pup covers on my Jazz, and even though it was playable, it always seemed awkward and uncomfortable. Two weeks ago I was swapping some necks to different bodies and I left the covers off the Jazz that I used to use as my main player(before the Ric) I found the bass so much nicer to play, When this topic came back up here in the forum I decided it was time to try it.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:27 pm 

Quote:
I placed the ground wire back on the screw, but it seemed like a bit of a waste of time since the plate isn't metal

But the screw goes into the metal thread of the pickup. Wouldn't that be grounded? I'm not hearing any extra noise as a result of the installation.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:15 am 

Quote:
I'm not hearing any extra noise as a result of the installation.

I did notice that when I get close to my computer monitor the hum is a little louder than it was before I removed the cover. But, when I'm not close to the monitor, it's not noisy at all.

Were you able to get the pup to the top of the plate without clipping the springs?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:44 pm 

I had time to take it back apart before rehearsal last night. I clipped a little off each spring, made sure the pup would raise all the way to the top of the guard, then put it all back together.

I was great the play with that cover completely out of my way

Board index » Just Basses