Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's see some photos!
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:48 pm 

There's a good chance I'll be doing a solid--a 620 or 660--in Purple Burst, in the near future, so stay tuned!

But I have at least three more uniquely-colored bursts in the works right now, as soon as the color samples I've sent out to my customers have been approved and returned.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:42 am 

That Purple is one of the most impressive colours I've ever seen. Like all "statement" shades, it is usually an acquired taste and not usually one for the masses or for those of the faint of heart.

But, if you want to be noticed and are an individual who truly loves colour (not your shades of grey type) then you'll be very hard pressed to find better...

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:10 am 

Anyone forget the 'burst and just go for full-blown purple?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:35 am 

Paul,
You do amazing work. I would love to have the talent in finishing that you have. I am a luthier as a hobby, and I have a great deal of difficulty with finishing. Sprayguns are difficult for me because I have problems adjusting the gun correctly. What advice could you give to someone having difficulties with finishing? Any advice would be appreciated. My e-mail is: almeida1035@msn.com. Thanks

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:19 am 

You're not alone, even among luthiers. Many luthiers avoid finishing, limiting themselves to the nuts 'n' bolts of guitar maintenance and repair, and sending finishing off to somebody else. Other luthiers bull through, yielding mediocre results and causing nightmares for dealers who have an epic bigotry toward refinned instruments as a result.

I once posted in another Forum that I believed that 90% of luthiers had no idea of how to proceed in refinishing a Rickenbacker instrument. John Hall then posted that he thought it was more like 98%...

Finishing guitars seems to be viewed two ways: those who regard any sort of spray work as a Black Art, and those who listen to ReRanch and StewMac and think it's easy to do professional-quality finishes in your back yard with a spray can in a sandstorm...and end up with bupkus.

In fact. it does take years of practice and conscious refinement of technique (just like playing a Rick does!). And, to top that off, Ricks take a different approach entirely and a whole 'nuther bunch of tricks to finish properly than, say, Fender.

I finished my first vehicle in 1967 (that's what got me started with a spray gun). I did my first guitar a few months later. Since then it's been a constant learning experience.

I'll write you offlist with some suggestions.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:28 am 

Thanks. I could use the advice.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:00 am 

Quote:
Many luthiers avoid finishing, limiting themselves to the nuts 'n' bolts of guitar maintenance and repair, and sending finishing off to somebody else.
Hmmm...I guess there are good jobs for American workers after all? I thought the #1 job of a luthier IS finishing work. I'd be tempted to leave my line of work...if I wasn't such a spazz.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:58 am 

Yeah, Glenn, you'd think so...but I get e-mails from luthiers telling me how they HATE finishing because they can never do it the same way twice...

Scary, when it could be your guitar sitting there in the spray booth!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:29 pm 

Here are some pics of my 4001 project. These are not of the bass as I recieved it, I took these after sanding it with 180, 220 and 320 grit sandpaper.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/ ... anding.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/ ... nding3.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/ ... nding2.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/ ... nding5.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/ ... nding4.jpg

I'll probably have to sand it even a bit more. I've been getting some good advice for finishing it, though, when I finally get around to it.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:51 am 

Beautiful grain Sartori! Looks nicer than my MapleGlo. Still planning on going with black? It'd be a shame to cover it up, but it is your baby! I wasn't sure from the pics - is the fretboard stripped also? Keep us updated, this is an interesting project.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish