Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: 360 Casualty
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:29 pm 

Hi there everyone

I have a very sad situation where my beloved 360 has a cracked neck that needs replacing. This is the third time it has cracked and is ultimately a weak spot so I have decided to restore it as I think it suffered an break at some other point in its life (I've had it for 11 years and it was born in 1974) and subsequently I think the neck was not joined to the body at the correct angle causing the action to be too high. Hence I want to completely replace the neck and give it a cosmetic makeover.
My question is... Where do I start in terms of guides to doing this level of restoration and where is the best place to look for a replacement neck and what kind of price am I looking at. Unfortunately I cannot afford a new one (or a second hand one for that matter).

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any helpful advice.

Andrew

Post subject: Re: 360 Casualty
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:56 pm 

Quote:
Unfortunately I cannot afford a new one (or a second hand one for that matter).

Hi Andrew,
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your 360.
From the information you provided it sounds like you should:
1) Contact a friend who is skilled at woodworking and can help you with the repair.
2) Try to sell the broken guitar on eBay and use the money to buy a used 330 or 360.
3) Stick it in the closet until you have some cash.

This is a significant job to have done professionally and it will be very costly.

Here is the math: A highly skilled luthier whose time is worth $100 hour making a 20 hr repair = ($2000).

Sell your guitar for $400 and buy a used Ric for $1000 = ($600).

Fix it yourself = free, and you will have lots of fun and learn a lot about guitar construction.

Best of luck

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:23 pm 

Andrew,

contact the guy here in this forum called Jingle Jangle, he is a authorized Rickenbacker repairman in the states. At least you can get a quote from him.

Also there is another forum member here called Blue Angel who is in Scotland, he might advise too.

Zurdo
1966 370-12 MG

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:40 pm 

Quote:
Andrew,contact the guy here in this forum called Jingle Jangle, he is a authorized Rickenbacker repairman in the states. At least you can get a quote from him. Also there is another forum member here called Blue Angel who is in Scotland, he might advise too.Zurdo
1966 370-12 MG

Oh Yeah, I forgot about the authorized Ric Repairman in California, Jingle Jangle who gives free quotes for totaled guitars in the UK to people who are financially challenged.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:02 pm 

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't actually do repairs like this, although I do some work for a shop with a luthier who might - but I know enough to agree schoolside: this is a very serious job, and would probably cost as much as buying a used more recent 360, if it was done by a professional.

If you do want the whole neck replaced, it will need to be removed from the body first which is no easy task - the tenon is longer than on any other guitars I know of, and extends almost to the bridge pickup. Then add the cost of a new neck, fitting it and the necessary finish work (even if you aren't having the rest of the body done) and you could very easily be up to the cost of a used 360, even in the UK. OK, a '74 is a little more valuable so it may be economically worth it - but still doubtful, because a vintage guitar with a replaced neck is worth much less than an all-original one.

You are almost certainly better to get the break re-repaired, but hopefully properly this time! It can be done, even if your experience would tend to put you off the idea.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:59 am 

My guess would be about $3000.00 for the repair, not counting transporting the guitar wherever you decide to send it. Not sure how many pounds that is these days. I think Jingle Jangle's backlog of orders is around two years. If you look up Dave Gregory's website (formerly of XTC), he had the headstock of his Model 1993 Rick 12-string replaced. I think he tells on his site who did the repairs. Looks top-notch from the photos. He's used the guitar to record with since at least the Dukes of Stratosphear records.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:01 am 

My guess would be about $3000.00 for the repair, not counting transporting the guitar wherever you decide to send it. Not sure how many pounds that is these days. I think Jingle Jangle's backlog of orders is around two years. If you look up Dave Gregory's website (formerly of XTC), he had the headstock of his Model 1993 Rick 12-string replaced. I think he tells on his site who did the repairs. Looks top-notch from the photos. He's used the guitar to record with since at least the Dukes of Stratosphear records.

I just looked it up. Here's the web address:

http://www.guitargonauts.info/

Click on "Pick of the Month," then click on "1964 Rickenbacker Model 1993 12 String."

Jonny and Simon Kincade were the people who worked on his guitar. Sounds like they're in the UK.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Andrew,contact the guy here in this forum called Jingle Jangle, he is a authorized Rickenbacker repairman in the states. At least you can get a quote from him. Also there is another forum member here called Blue Angel who is in Scotland, he might advise too.Zurdo
1966 370-12 MG

Oh Yeah, I forgot about the authorized Ric Repairman in California, Jingle Jangle who gives free quotes for totaled guitars in the UK to people who are financially challenged.

Yes, I do, schoolside... Quotes are always free, and I do work for customers world-wide.

Although there's no such thing as an "Authorized" Rick repairman or facility these days, RIC Customer Service does refer quite a bit of work my way.

In the case of this one, it does sound like the Kincades come well-recommended, and they will save the shipping hassle and expense, too.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:56 pm 

the following business buys damaged Rickenbacker guitars, you might contact them to see what they might offer for yours.

http://www.google.com/parts/wanted.html

Zurdo

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:22 am 

Quote:
My guess would be about $3000.00 for the repair, .

Wow.

That would pretty much be the most expensive guitar repair of all time.

In all honestly, I can't quote Paul's prices, but I'd be surprised if it were half that figure.

The whole guitar in perfect shape is barely worth $3K !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish