Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 360 Casualty
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:43 am 

That was a quote for a 12-string neck, although that was a while ago, so it might have gone up.

If you look at this site, you can see why replacing a Rick neck is so expensive:

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/rick.html

Of course, if you had to replace a bass neck or a solidbody neck, you'd have to cut the body "wings" off to replace it. Again, it might be easier (and cheaper) just to buy a new guitar!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:48 am 

Quote:
It might be easier (and cheaper) just to buy a new guitar!

+1 (or part his out and buy used). At the risk of being insensitive, not every guitar is worth saving. Sometimes we have to move on.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:39 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
It might be easier (and cheaper) just to buy a new guitar!

+1 (or part his out and buy used). At the risk of being insensitive, not every guitar is worth saving. Sometimes we have to move on.
I agree, but this one doesn't sound that bad. It should be possible to (at worst) fit a new section into the neck heel to replace the most damaged original wood and correct the neck angle. It's still not a trivial job, and won't be totally invisible when done, but at least it will mean saving 99% of an early 70s Rickenbacker, which I think is a fair compromise.

I did a similar thing to a '76 Gibson Thunderbird years ago - when I got it (for next to nothing) there had already been at least two failed repairs to the neck/head area - I made a new section for the neck to fix it.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:05 pm 

Quote:
It should be possible to (at worst) fit a new section into the neck heel to replace the most damaged original wood and correct the neck angle. It's still not a trivial job, and won't be totally invisible when done, but at least it will mean saving 99% of an early 70s Rickenbacker, which I think is a fair compromise.

I think that's what the Kincades did with Dave Gregory's 1993/12 string. They fashioned a new headstock and grafted it onto the neck. From the front (at least on the pictures) you can't tell that it's been replaced. That might be a good compromise solution, instead of a full neck replacement or selling it for parts.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:45 pm 

Blue Angel's spot-on. A properly executed scarf joint will be quite durable, and can be made to be nearly invisible. When I do these, I laminate up a sandwich of maple, shedua and old-growth walnut, to exactly the thicknesses of the various layers in the headstock I'm replacing. This way, even if the finish is a translucent FG, the joint won't be so obvious. I even do this on JG guitars and basses, as eventually the laminations will show through the JG surface.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:10 am 

Who hoo!!

Thanks Dudes for all the replies!! I just posted again thinking I dad no responses but I see there are loads!!
I have nothing to lose as I can't afford any repairs at this point in time but I desperately need my Rick up and running. I don't think the neck needs relpacing - the crack near the head is easily done with some epoxy resin and clamps - what Ineed is to understand how the neck is joined to the body... Any ideas?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:20 am 

At the top of this page there is a tab marked, Factory. From the drop down menu, click on Wood. There you will find pictures of a backless 360 which shows the routs. There's also a picture of guitar necks showing the tenon. It's clear from these pictures why resetting a Rickenbacker's neck is so expensive. You basically have to disassemble the entire guitar.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:51 pm 

Clint, thank you so very much! And all of you - this means the world to me and Blue Angel - thanks for the encouragement - I'll post my progress!!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:16 pm 

...and Mr Jingle Jangle - If you make new ones, I hope to one day own one of your creations.
Thank you

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:19 pm 

Oh - another few things:

How do I unglue the neck from the body? Or does this require sawing (ughh!)? And the inlay / trim around the edges - does this need to be gently prised off?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish