Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 360 Casualty
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:16 am 

Quote:
This is absolutely not the right guitar to start learning about repair work on.

I completely disagree.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:50 pm 

Quote:
I completely disagree.
Without even having seen any pictures of how bad it is? How do you know? Going on what he's said so far, the body is completely undamaged, and it's not even certain that the neck tenon needs to be removed from it at all.

If it turns out to be a basket case, I will happily agree with you, but without knowing that it's totally irresponsible to suggest that someone starts learning about guitar repair by trying to have a go - he could easily turn a fairly valuable and easily repairable (if done by someone who knows how) vintage guitar into a wreck.

At what point would you advise someone *not* to have a go before seeking proper professional advice? How about that old Gibson of grandad's that's been under the bed for a few decades. A couple of the machinehead keys have crumbled. Why get it looked at by a pro when you can just drill it out and fit a set of modern Grovers yourself?

Oh dear. It was an all-original '59 Les Paul Standard and you've just thrown away about a hundred thousand dollars. But never mind, you had the satisfaction of making it playable again yourself.

This is a real example of a guitar that was recently found, by the way - luckily the owners of it had the intelligence not to do *anything* until it had been appraised by experts.

Obviously an old Rickenbacker is not in quite the same league - but it's still stupid to mess something up that's probably worth a couple of thousand dollars.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:08 pm 

Quote:
At what point would you advise someone *not* to have a go before seeking proper professional advice?

Based on the OP's description the salvage value of the guitar is in the hardware only.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:43 pm 

Quote:
Based on the OP's description the salvage value of the guitar is in the hardware only.
Nonsense - from what he's said the body is undamaged. He's only listed a cracked and badly repaired neck as the problem.

Do you think an original 1970s Rickenbacker 360 body - even without a neck - is worth nothing? If you do, you would be better to do some more research before advising someone to take action which may result in financial loss, and/or to make a guitar he clearly likes unrepairable.

Your advice is plain wrong, period. No offense intended.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:00 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Nonsense - from what he's said the body is undamaged. He's only listed a cracked and badly repaired neck as the problem.

Do you think an original 1970s Rickenbacker 360 body - even without a neck - is worth nothing? If you do, you would be better to do some more research before advising someone to take action which may result in financial loss, and/or to make a guitar he clearly likes unrepairable.

I totally agree!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:23 am 

Quote:

None taken BA. I appreciate your tenaciousness and advocacy of the downtrodden guitars of the world. Fools like me would use them for firewood.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:08 am 

:-)

I have used a few guitars for firewood, too...

But only ones that were truly beyond repair, too cheap to warrant it and not even cool enough to be hung on the wall as ornaments!

Like I said, I would not disagree at all if this was a smashed up or hacked Rick that couldn't be saved properly. Then, you have nothing to lose and plenty to learn from having a go at it yourself. But an instrument of this quality and value has to be extremely seriously damaged to not be worth repairing properly - and this doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be by a professional luthier either. But for someone without experience of working with instruments, I really wouldn't start with a vintage Rick, any more than I would with a '59 Les Paul.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:02 am 

People... Before we get carried away here, I have sanded most of the guitar down . I still do not know how to add photo's to this forum - If anyone looking at this knows, please tell me!!

One discovery I have made is that the machine head was not alway black. It's looking mighty fine with the paint taken off - such a shame to hide the laminate finish of the head which is such a Rickenbacker trademark. It seems that the neck obviously took some kinda bashing as there are a few cracks in the body but nothing serious - it looks like the neck might have been dislodged by the impact and someone has literally poured some glue in the gap between the base of the neck and the body to cement it in place but in doing so, failed to notice that the neck was very slightly at an angle. The neck is as I knew - nothing a good epoxy and a few clamps won't solve.

Anyhow - let me know and I will post the picks. Wow - I can't wait (given I can repair this guitar) to give her a beautiful paintjob - she deserves it!!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:00 am 

Schoolside seems to miss an important point here and that's the relationship between a player and his guitar. I for one would not consider attempting any of the work myself, I'd source an expert and pay to have it done right. I also would not and do not consider any of my guitars to be just the constituent parts - to be cannabilised for spares. Like, I suspect, everyone on this forum, I have owned my share of ' dogs ' in the past - those I just sold on or got rid of - but the ones I love and loved - they'll stay alive no matter what.
If you're biting the bullet and doing the work yourself - good luck.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:40 am 

Quote:
I think you have very little to lose by attempting the repairs yourself. As it currently stands it is only worth the salvage value of the hardware, therefore you can't make it worth any less.

Have a good time, learn a little about how it was put together and you might stumble on a way to make it playable and good looking.

Scotter, it looks like you missed my earlier post. How can you be any more involved with your guitar than by rebuilding it. Please learn to read before throwing any stones at me.

FoolforRic, Chip away that nasty epoxy and you'll be able to steam the neck free to be reglued with proper wood glue and the proper angle (which is no angle).

The pictures have to be uploaded to a hosting site like "Photobucket" so we can see your progress.

Make me proud son cause I always knew you could do it!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish