Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 360 Casualty
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:54 pm 

OK. No problem. I will try upload the pics tomorrow night. I will add that in terms of guitar / owner relationship... This was the second electric guitar I bought and I bought it ten years ago at Portobello Music in London and it has been my guitar ever since. I bought it fairly cheaply because it had been bashed around but I had wanted a Rickenbacker sinceI had learned to play a guitar. Little did I know how much I would this creature would sink it's heavenly teeth into - I absolutely love this machine and the sound it makes. I have always played it with the neck slightly wrong (without knowing what the problem was) but when playing one with a straight neck, I realise how different it is. So when the neck cracked and someone pointed out to me that there was a more serious problem, I decided that both issues need to be addressed.

However, like I said, I am broke - I have a family and a crappy job and am in the process of recording an album and gig in London and all I have is my acoustic (Taylor 510) and I need an electric so badly but it has to be my Rick! Trust me, if I could pay someone to do it I would but the reality is that I can't.

Sorry about the sob story but the long and short is that I need help and I am so grateful for any help I can get from you guys. I hope that if I am successful, it will be of great help to other people in the same predicament.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:57 am 

F.F.R., all I can say is good luck, we wish you the best. Mark

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:05 am 

Schoolside, I read your previous posts - and COMPREHEND them. To revisit the philospohical, if you will, part of MY argument for a moment I ask you this:
" Should I carry out surgery upon someone I love, given that I am no surgeon and have no surgical skills in an attempt to cement my bond with them? To discover the ineffable truth of body and soul? "

That was my point - the synergy between a musician and their instrument.

Now, I realise that I have used some words that possess more than 2 syllables, but, as you live near a school, pop in and borrow their dictionary. It's a thickish book with lotsa words in.

Revisit - you'll find that under the letter R

Philosophical - that's under the letter P

Synergy - that's ( yes, you guessed it, ) under the letter S

Don't patronise me again. ( and that's under the letter P ).

......today's letter was brought to you by the letter D and, well; no number - what's there about you that rates assigning a numerical value to - oops, silly me - there's always the first three letters of assigning isn't there - in that case, you're a 10 - shiny and bright.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:54 am 

HAHAHA, you're welcome!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:48 am 

GENTLEMEN, TIME!

Now, no matter what may be or not be wrong with the particular guitar in question, arguing about it and casting personal aspersions will not fix it.

And if the circumstances of the guitar are internal to the neck or body, pictures may not help much, either.

The guitar should be taken to a person with significant experience in repairing or rebuilding RIC instruments and a hands-on assessment be made.

You'll notice that I didn't get into this thread at first, because that is the case. Blue Angel, and a couple of others, who have extensive experience, were only trying to be helpful in narrowing down the universe of problems to what may actually be the circumstance with this particular guitar to give the OP a little better idea of what to expect.

But I'm going to hop into it now with both feet. It it time for everyone in this thread to tow the line.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:13 am 

I'm not totally sure why, but, I'm in hysterics right now reading this Thread!

-This graphic version of a Screamin' Mimi running around the house with a "neckless guitar" reminds me of an old madcap Marks Brothers' movie. And I think specifically of the Marks Brothers' "Too Much Love" where this live turkey get's loose and wildly flies around touching the ceiling of a hotel room and as it does it gets chased around by a broom with the person holding the broom yelling and screaming!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:07 pm 

Quote:
I'm not totally sure why, but, I'm in hysterics right now reading this Thread!

+1

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:42 pm 

Quote:
" Should I carry out surgery upon someone I love, given that I am no surgeon and have no surgical skills in an attempt to cement my bond with them? To discover the ineffable truth of body and soul? "

Are we allowed to do that?

Cool.

Is it okay if I promise only to attempt surgery on people of low worth to me? Say, needy ex-girlfriends?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:20 pm 

Well... Here we go: http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l49/Androol_2006/

Let me know if there's anything else you wanna look at.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:52 pm 

OK, that does need to have the neck fully removed. There's no way of properly cleaning up the tenon and socket otherwise. It looks like the neck has been out at least once already so there's no telling what mess might be in there or what type of glue has been used... hopefully not epoxy. The small section of damaged body between the neck and pickup rout isn't very serious, and easily repaired.

The good news is that the cracked headstock doesn't look too bad at all. The bad news is that you probably didn't need to take as much of the finish off as that...!

It's still *very definitely* restorable to a high standard though, and if you aren't experienced at instrument repair or at least fine woodwork generally, it really is something best left to someone who can do it properly. If you try do do the neck yourself - especially if you reglue it with epoxy without getting it exactly right - there's every chance that it will then be unrepairable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish