Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 360 Casualty
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:12 pm 

FFR, Thanks for the pictures. I agree with BA that the neck should come out, be cleaned up and replaced parallel to the body. The worse case is the neck has been epoxied in. That will make the job extremely difficult. Let us know how that process is going and share a few more pictures. I have seen enough to declare your guitar a future player, not a rare vintage collectible. (Unless of course the damage was done by Pete Townsend and documented on film). It's future rest in your hands, be patient and good luck.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:38 am 

Looks like a great job for JingleJangle.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:03 pm 

Schoolside, you mentioned steaming the neck to remove the glue. How is this best done and if there is epoxy stuffed in the gap, how should I go about getting the neck off.
As for being a vintage collectable 0- I'm not concerned at all - I'll never sell this guitar as I will play it till I die - as long as it does what it says on the tin, I'm happy.
To everyone out there worried I'm going to attack this thing with an axe - have no fear, I might not be a luthier but I have restored guitars before - admittedly not a Rickenbacker with this condition.

Once again I will point out that I cannot afford to send this guitar to Jingle Jangle (or Blue Angel - He's closer -). I don't have ANY money to spend and will not for the forseeable future! If I had the amount required, I'd buy a new 360. If I had HALF the amount required, I'd buy a Mexican Jaguar. I'm not fixing this guitar for sentiment. I need it!!
I am eternally grateful for any help or suggestions or encouragement anyone can put forward. Please appreciate too that I am not trying to 'dodge' paying an expert to do the job, I just cannot.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:38 pm 

http://www.bryankimsey.com/necksets/steaming.htm

Is this right? Do I need a steamer like this or is there another way of doing it?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:59 pm 

http://www.dbeweb.com/guitar/

Or this - seems like a similar job...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:41 pm 

Quote:
Once again I will point out that I cannot afford to send this guitar to Jingle Jangle (or Blue Angel - He's closer -). I don't have ANY money to spend and will not for the forseeable future!

One more question. Do you have all the tools, skills and workspace required to do this job right? Because if you don't and you can't borrow tools from someone, you may end up having to stop in the middle of the project or be prepared to fork over some cash for some proper tools. Tools you may end up only using once (not cost affective). So just plan out your steps one by one and keep an eye on the bottom line. Sometimes Do-It-Yourself projects can get away from you and end up costing more than a repairman would have charged in the first place.

So, good luck and keep us posted.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:58 pm 

Quote:
Schoolside, you mentioned steaming the neck to remove the glue. How is this best done and if there is epoxy stuffed in the gap, how should I go about getting the neck off.

I saw a thread where John Hall keeps a small steamer in his office recently. I've heard a cappuccino machine can also work. You'll have to do more research on that, there are many pictures on the web. The larger problem is if epoxy was used. That will require cutting, sawing or chiseling and grinding. If it is epoxy, a skilled repairman would still be facing major challenges cause epoxy is forever. Just throwing out some ideas, a dremel to cut and grind, a hot knife, it's not going to be pretty. Take your time and try to cut it out as close to the original lines and bondo up any missing chunks later. Remove a little each day...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:04 pm 

There are solvents that will soften epoxies, but all are pretty nasty. A mixture of methoxypropanol/xylene/methylethylketone will plasticize and soften most epoxies.

You may NOT want to try this at home...

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:44 pm 

Schoolside, you're the Dude!!
As soon as you mentioned Cappucino machine, I clicked. I have an old one that has never really been used but I reckon with a Drip / intravenous line attached with a big hypodermic needle on the end (I work at a hospital), I have a pretty cool steamer. I'm pretty sure I can do my guitar justice. I have a dremmel and a few paint scrapers - I have the clamps etc.
A few things, would it be better to use hide glue or epoxy (or any particular glue) when setting the neck again and secondly, does anyone have an exploded diagram of the neck joining the body - I'm pretty of sure how it fits together but I'd like to make certain there is nothing I'm missing (or hitting) when I set about this.

Thanks to everyone on here. You guys Rock!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:46 pm 

Quote:
I reckon with a Drip / intravenous line attached with a big hypodermic needle on the end (I work at a hospital), I have a pretty cool steamer.

Usually the line is a little heavier, go to an automotive parts or hardware store you can buy a rubber gas line that will be better. I don't want the line to explode from heat and pressure and possibly burn you. For the end I was thinking the needle used to blow up a basket ball, you could cut the end to suit your needs. The glue, wood glue is best because it can be undone. That's what Ric uses, I've seen threads here on glue and a link to the picture you need. How about a small 1/2 to 3/4 in chisel? Take your time and good luck,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish