Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 360 Casualty
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:49 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
The point being is a man has got to know his limitations.

Hi iiipopes, Thanks for your words of encouragement to FFR. I'd like to disagree with your "point", I believe "It's the man that doesn't know his limitations that ultimately succeeds".

Since we are talking Taylor, Bob Taylor has experienced dozens of challenges in his first 20 years at Taylor Guitars.
His NT neck is one of the best designs ever for creating stable, accurate and easily adjustable neck angle to an accuracy of .001 in. I have several Taylor guitars, the most recent an 814ce that is really stellar.

Indeed. But he had a whole shop to experiment on ideas that didn't have to turn out right the first time.

When I delved into repairing my own guitars over 15 years ago, I didn't just go start hacking on my #1 stage guitar. I purchased a Squier II to experiment on and hack away at with no concern about screwing things up, because I purchased it with the purpose of screwing it up to fix it and learn from it before I started on a "real" guitar.

This is the OP's #1. There is very little room for error here. He's got to get it right the first time. We're all trying to help him do just that. That distinguishes this situation from the situation of a manufacturer having time to do R&D to perfect a way of doing things.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:03 am 

Quote:
This is the OP's #1. There is very little room for error here. He's got to get it right the first time. We're all trying to help him do just that.

That's something we can all agree on!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:39 pm 

Howdy Everyone.
Well... The neck is off, all seems OK. I have cleaned all the old glue out etc. The only downside is that the crack down the back opened and the piece of wood between the two pick-ups where there was a crack also lifted. I'm not too worried about this though as I'll put glue in the crack at the back and then steam both sides and flatten / hold everything together with clamps. It's great because the neck now slots in with little difficulty and can be properly aligned. Before I steam again, I want to finish sanding the body so when the neck's back on, it's ready for a new paintjob - This time it won't be black, however.
Wow! Can't believe I did that. Nice one Dudes!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:32 pm 

sorry dbl post.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:32 pm 

Quote:
The neck is off, all seems OK. Before I steam again, I want to finish sanding the body so when the neck's back on, it's ready for a new paintjob - This time it won't be black, however. Wow! Can't believe I did that.

Nice going, yes you are pretty awesome! It all sounds good but why do you have to steam again? Can you snap a few more pictures to share while it's apart.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:18 pm 

For sure, I'll stick some up in the next few days. I was going to steam it again just as a caution when clamping it again...

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:15 pm 

you're right, i missed that in your previous post, you don't want to crack the wood.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:48 am 

Make sure the channels are clear and relieved internally as originally assembled by the factory so that any amount of excess glue has somewhere to go, as the neck-into-body joint is tight once you get the glue to it, and you don't want any excess glue putting undue pressure on anything.

Also looking forward to pix. Hang in there -- you're well on the road to recovering a RIC.

So, what color are you considering? Since it was JG to begin with, I would consider a darker opaque color, like navy blue, burgundy, etc., so that any residue of the JG doesn't show through.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:58 pm 

Ho ho ho!! Sorry about the delay but I've been really busy. I've posted the new pictures. Iiipopes, you speak of channels... Excuse my ignorance but just to make sure I'm not missing anything, please can you describe the channels.

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l49/A ... %20Cracks/

I am going to use hide glue to put the neck back on and I am going to french polish the guitar in a red finish using earth dyes with the shellac. I know it's not the toughest finish but I want my guitar to be a unique beast!!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:07 pm 

Wow... I'm amazed how short that neck tenon is - I thought they were much longer than that. It's clearly original and not cut-down though, because the laminates are different lengths. If it is unusually short, that may explain why the neck pulled up - although the whole guitar has clearly had a hard life given the other cracking.

There are also extra screw holes in a few places in the top, so you need to work out which are the correct ones and fill the others before you refinish it. A shellac finish is a good idea - it will look great over that wood grain, and although it's not a strong finish it's the easiest to repair when it gets worn. (These things seem to be inversely related!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish