Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: what do i use for color coat?
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:34 pm 

I've got a black 360 jg with severe scratches down into the wood. i know to use "conversion varnish" for primer and topcoat, but what do i use for the color coat?

Thanks for any advice...Kevin

Post subject: Re: what do i use for color coat?
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:15 pm 

Conversion varnish for primer? That's a new one.

Your JG finish from the factory will have bare wood, sanding sealer, mat black color coat, and conversion varnish over that.

To touch up the black, you can use a black nitro or urethane. Don't use black enamel, as the CV will attack it and could possibly lift it or wrinkle the edges.

After touching up the black, allow sufficient drying time, and then, depending upon the size and depth of the scratch, you can topcoat it with a bit of CV or (for smaller nicks and scratches) gap-filling super glue. I don't advise accelerator unless you really know what you're doing with this stuff; it can cause bubbles in the super glue.

Instead, just let the whole thing dry naturally. Then take a very hard sanding block (I use a piece of plexiglass, 1" X 2") and some 1000 grit wet or dry paper, and wet out the paper with Windex. Sand the super glued or CV'd area using the block until it is absolutely flush with the surrounding CV finish. Now sand the area with 2000 grit wet or dry, once again wetted with Windex, which acts as a lubricant.

Last, you can buff out the area with some rubbing compound. DON'T use a regular automotive compound--these are too rough, whereas "Swirl Remover" is not aggressive enough. Use either Fine Polishing Compound or my own favorite, 3M Perfect-It III Machine Compound (applied by hand).

You must use a 100% cotton cloth to apply this stuff and rub. Synthetic cloths will definitely scratch JG. JG shows every tiny abuse--it is very unforgiving. A good coat of wax (the factory recommends Turtle Wax #123 liquid) will protect it.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:48 pm 

Exellent...thanks a lot for the tips, ill make it happen.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:18 am 

last question hopefully...If nitro will work for color with the cv, could i then use the colortone aerosol guitar lacquer from stewmac?

Thanks again for the advice. :)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:16 am 

You can apply CV over nitro or urethane or acrylic lacquer. So "yes" to the StewMac idea.

But, just out of curiosity, if you're going through the hassle of spraying the CV through a gun, why not the color, too? You could then use urethane color, which gives a better bond to CV.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:29 am 

I have a 330 JG that went through the ex-wife treatment a few years back. It had many deep gouges and scratches into the wood. Sounds similar to what's going on here. Anyway I had it refinished and after only 4 years the guitar suddenly took on a very ugly complexion. It has swirls, haze, blemishes, you name it. It has no shine at all anymore. I could see through the paint where all the scratches were filled and it still smells like paint. I cringe when I see my guitar now.

Should the person that did this refinish, should he have taken it down to the wood? Should this be refinished again or just buffed up with something?

Thanks,
Chris

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:38 am 

Not seeing it in person, I can't really tell what the heck it was refinished with.

It should have been taken down to the wood for best results and longevity. Many gouges and scratches literally disappear when the thick CV and paint coats are stripped away.

A good sandng once stripped to bare maple, possibly some minor filling, sealer, black lacquer or urethane, and conversion varnish, and it would look like new. But, as I've pointed out before, not too many luthiers or finishers take the time to understand Rickenbacker's finishing methods. They are quite time-consuming and daunting if you're used to a quick spray and buff, as happens with most nitro finishes.

It doesn't sound like a buffing out is the answer to your finish problems. And JG is the most demanding of all colors.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:53 am 

That's just great. Not what I wanted to hear but at least I have an answer. One more question. Since the back of the neck is fine, not scratched at all, should that also be taken down to the wood?

I'll post pictures later.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish