Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Refinishing: What's The Bottom Line?
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:39 am 

I have been following the various threads here about refinishing and fretboard finish removal with great interest. I have an early 80's 360-12 which I have given serious thought to having re-done.

I have no intention of attempting this myself, especially having learned that Rickenbacker finishes are best left to folks who are equipt for and are experienced with such things.

Anyway, the bottom line. What would one expect to pay to have such an instrument refinished by a qualified professional? I would want to have a Fireglo or a Walnut finish applied. Most likely Fireglo.

Post subject: Re: Refinishing: What's The Bottom Line?
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:01 am 

Re-read this thread once more....

http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum_view_ ... Refinising

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:05 pm 

Between $450. and $$700. depending if it needs frets. and or the finger board re-finished. Do you want C.P. inlays put in it at the same time, add another $150. Dale

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:44 pm 

My own prices are pretty much the same as Dale's.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:08 am 

Dale and Jingle Jangle,

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'm looking at the low end here. My frets are in pristine condition, I'm content with the original inlays and I would like the fretboard finish removed and not re-applied.

Time to start saving my pennies...

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:11 pm 

Whoa. Any good reason why you're gonna strip the fretboard?

The light color of Rickenbacker fretboards could look pretty dirty in short order, regardless of how it's oiled or what you oil it with. And oiling it makes it tough to re-varnish should you change your mind and decide you want it glossy again at a later date.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:55 am 

Quote:
Whoa. Any good reason why you're gonna strip the fretboard?

The light color of Rickenbacker fretboards could look pretty dirty in short order, regardless of how it's oiled or what you oil it with. And oiling it makes it tough to re-varnish should you change your mind and decide you want it glossy again at a later date.

I actually like the color of the fretboard and I wouldn't want to do anything to compromise the look. The problem I have is that, under certain conditions (tempurature, humidity, etc.), there seems to be a little "stickiness" to the feel of the fretboard. I have occasionally used various fretboard lubricants, but sparingly. I don't know if use of these products would have any bad reactions with the finish. In theory they shouldn't, but I don't like to take chances. Otherwise I'm just fine with leaving the finish intact.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:09 am 

Well, then, invisible, you are looking at way too drastic a solution.

Don't strip. Here's what I do:

First, it's an early '80s guitar, so the fretboard finish has seen its share of skin oils and acids, UV attacks, atmospheric contaminants, and you name it...

These all conspire to break down the conversion varnish finish. Guitars, people usually clean and wax once in awhile, and the guitar's finish is right out in the open and does not get constantly touched by fingers.

Fretboards, though are hidden behind the strings 99% of the time, and the best they usually get is a quick wipedown at string change time, if they're lucky...

Next time you're changing strings, leave the fretboard naked for a few minutes and do this: Get an old toothbrush and some lighter fluid (naphtha). Use these to scrub the fretboard lightly to get all the grunge off the varnish and from around the frets. Use an old t-shirt to wipe clean and work on one fret/space at a time. When you're done with this, use another portion of the same t-shirt along with some dabs of fine polishing compound and polish the frets and the wood between until it shines. This does take at least an hour if you do it properly. This will make the fretboard finish nice and slick.

Next, procure some Dr. Stringfellow conditioner. They say not to use this stuff on finished fretboards, but it's OK on Rick boards, in my experience. This stuff is a mix of naphtha and citrus oil. You spray it onto a soft cotton cloth (t-shirt or diaper) and wipe the fretboard and the back of the neck and then polish it off a bit with another dry soft cotton cloth. This leaves a very thin film of citrus oil on the fretboard and the back of the neck. Speeds up both your hand and finger movement.

Everytime I'm done with one of my Ricks, before I put it back into its case, I do the spray/wipe routine with Dr. S. It also keeps your strings (especially the wound ones, whether flatties or rounds) from getting grungy and corroded. I've also had woodwind bore oil recommended for this same purpose.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:50 pm 

Quote:
Next time you're changing strings, leave the fretboard naked for a few minutes and do this: Get an old toothbrush and some lighter fluid (naphtha). Use these to scrub the fretboard lightly to get all the grunge off the varnish and from around the frets. Use an old t-shirt to wipe clean and work on one fret/space at a time. When you're done with this, use another portion of the same t-shirt along with some dabs of fine polishing compound and polish the frets and the wood between until it shines. This does take at least an hour if you do it properly. This will make the fretboard finish nice and slick.

This sounds like great advice and I'm going to do this at the next string change. I am a bit of a fanatic, so I probably have an advantage here. My guitars NEVER go back in the case without the strings and fretboard being wiped down. I would think that this care would help minimize problems.

My local music stores don't carry Dr. Stringfellow, so I need to order it from somewhere. I'm sure this won't be a problem. My 360-12 is my only guitar with a finished fretboard, so I want to make sure I maintain it properly.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish